What does this sensor mean?

G

There's a sensor in CPUID HWmonitor that shows up under motherboard sensors. It's called "TMPIN3" and while the other mobo sensors stay below 60c, this one can get to around 63c while in prime95 and 68 when under 100% load for both the CPU and GPU (GPU at ~75c)

There are sensors such as CPUTIN and AUXTIN but even under really hot ambient air temps, they are still under 60c. Just, this one sensor....
Processor is i3-4170 53w so it shouldnt be stressing the mobo too hard...

Processor gets to max. 64c under load, the TMPIN3 seems to hang within a few degrees or more (usually hotter though)

I dont think its my H81 chipset because that has the GPU blowing air right onto its heatsink and the GPU gets pretty warm so I would think the temps would have gone up by more if it was that.

Please help? My mobo is ASRock H81m-HDS

Solution
No, It is a sensor which is not at all important. The thing is, not all sensors are real sensors, but calculated values, like the Intel processor.
The CPU for example in the Intel second generation Core i3, i5 and i7
There are are a few sensors, one is located to take measurements from the cooling top-plate, the others just a few very well calculated values depending on effect and so on from each processor core..
This is calculated from a very complex algorithm.
It is mostly accurate, however it is not real time measurements presented to the viewer.

Newer processors have actually more temp-sensor inbuilt and therefore they can take a reading at real time.
However, not even these should be considered as a reliable Tempe-source...
CPUTIN = CPU Temperature Index
AUXTIN = Auxiliary Temperature Index
SYSTIN = System Temperature Index
CPUTIN is different from CoreTemp.
CoreTemp = sensor on the processor

Not at all confuse with the:
CPUTIN motherboard CPU temp sensor.
AUXTIN is the power supply temp sensor if there is one.
SYSTIN relates to Motherboard.
TMPIN 0 = MOTHERBOARD = SYS
TMPIN 1 = CPU
TMPIN 2 = MCH = Northbridge
TMPIN 3 = Sensor near GPU/VRMs

In HWMonitor it is these values which are important:
in the HWmonitor window there are three columns:
Value= shows the actual readings from all the sensors including temperatures and voltage
Min and max speaks for itself.
You have only to pay attention for these.

Best regards from Sweden

G

so, for the TMPIN3 sensor, is this a high/dangerous/unusual temperature?

No, It is a sensor which is not at all important. The thing is, not all sensors are real sensors, but calculated values, like the Intel processor.
The CPU for example in the Intel second generation Core i3, i5 and i7
There are are a few sensors, one is located to take measurements from the cooling top-plate, the others just a few very well calculated values depending on effect and so on from each processor core..
This is calculated from a very complex algorithm.
It is mostly accurate, however it is not real time measurements presented to the viewer.

Newer processors have actually more temp-sensor inbuilt and therefore they can take a reading at real time.
However, not even these should be considered as a reliable Tempe-source, because they are sitting in a very high temp environment and such - it is impossible to have an accurate reading.

I would say, any temp. reading from any processor will have +/- 20% unless the very latest ones have a more accurate and calculated readings, but still not less than +/-10%.
Best regards from Sweden

Solution