What does workstation mean? Intel 7600k CPU

Jun 8, 2018
Hello guys,
I have bought a new pc and my question is, what does workstation mean?
I have a i5-7600k cpu and show you a screenshot.
There are 3 areas. one for gaming, one for desktop and one are is called workstation. what does it mean? i have bought my pc for gaming and need i this workstation area for gaming?
is the cpu good for gaming and doing desktop work like installing or surfing?
here the screenshot and the link of this website.
http://
http://

Solution
You have a good gaming system. One last time, that graphic only shows you what your system is capable of. Just because it can be used as a workstation does not mean it has to or that it performs any less as a gaming system.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
"Workstation" just means that the computer is primarily used for typical work applications like Microsoft Office applications, programming, design work, etc.

"Desktop" means that the computer is primarily used for general home use like small MS Office files, music, videos, e-mail, web-browsing, things like that.

"Gaming" means that the computer is primarily used for games.

The image you linked just shows the general performance of the computer in each of these three usages. There is nothing to delete or be concerned about.

The CPU is fine for gaming and desktop work. Could be better, could be a lot worse.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
You install and uninstall programs regardless of the primary system usage (Gaming, Desktop, or Workstation)

Again, these are just usages of the computer. It's just showing you how well it will perform for each type of computer usage. You said this system was for gaming. It is NOT something you need to be overly concerned about.

-Wolf sends

gondo

Distinguished
Workstation is usually a term to describe an employees computer at a place of work used for a particular task. Think a programmers computer, a graphic artist, video editing in hollywood, music production in a studio, etc... The reason the I5 scored poorly is because of the lack of cores, pure speed, etc.... If you really want to take advantage of some of the $1000+ software packages on the market, that's when you get into the big CPUs like AMD threadripper, and Intel I9 or X series.

For home use all you need to do is browse the web, play a movie, stream netflix, type in Word, etc... Your smartphone or tablet can handle that no problem so an I5 can breeze right through that, hence the high score.

As for gaming. All you need is enough CPU power to not bottleneck your GPU. Going for more CPU will not help in games all that much, and the value drops big time. 15 years ago the cheapest CPU would perform as good as an expensive CPU because all the gaming power came form the video card. Now games are designed so it takes a lot of CPU power. Some games more than others. So in some games an I7 will perform much better than an I5. In others not so much. As long as you don't have so little CPU that it creates a bottleneck and your video card can't keep up. For example pair a new video card with an older processor and you could loose 20% FPS right off the top. But in most games an I5 will perform just as good as an I7 hence the high score. In some games that are designed to be CPU intensive the I7 may be faster.

Jun 8, 2018
i have amd rx 580 8gb gpu and 8 gb ddr4 ram. and i need this pc for 4k and fullhd gaming on max settings, multitasking and for surfing. working i do not. i need it as a good gaming pc

Workstations need to be reliable and versatile. ECC memory is common, and support for 2x GPUs,2xCPUs and multiple HDD including SAS and RAID arrays. Data integrity is more impotatnt than performance. 100+ GB RAM capacity is not uncommon.They can be used in engineering, medicine, architecture and other mission critical applications. They can be set up as gaming computers. But they can also be set up to be more like servers if that's whats required.

Wolfshadw

Titan
You have a good gaming system. One last time, that graphic only shows you what your system is capable of. Just because it can be used as a workstation does not mean it has to or that it performs any less as a gaming system.

-Wolf sends

Solution