What drive should i buy ?

G

Shortly i will be buying a new hard drive.
Was thinking about ata 100 / 40gig / 7200 rpm
Which one should i get ibm 60 gxp or maxtor or seagate ? ??

Tell me what one you are using ?

Thanks in advance for all your advice !!!

Bye

==================================>>
</font color=red>If all else fails then you read the instructions !!

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Well I use ONLY Maxtor drives. I use them because I think they are really good drives, basically! I mean I can walk accross the train tracks here at work and goto Office Depot and pull one off the shelf next to nothing. I don't think you can do that with any other brand but Westerdigital. At least not that I know of anywhere around here. CompUSA carries a large selection of drives. Bestbuy and Office Depot also. You can find them basically everywhere!

I would highly recommend the Maxtor brand. I feel the tech support is top notch and the prices are fair!

Hope that answers your question ...

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

G

has anyone had any problems with IBM hard drives ?

Thanks for everthing so far !

P.s I live in the north east of scotland and the maxtor and ibm drives cost the same.

G

For what it's worth, I purchased an IBM 60GXP Deskstar, 40GB drive last month. It works very well. Very quiet and reliable. I had heard of failures with another IBM model, a 75GXP, I think.

I purchased mine from CnetPC.com for $114.95 (total w/shipping)

G

thanks everyone

Will order my ibm hard drive tonight !!!

bye

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Shoot...I would go with IBM. I currently have a 75GXP, running since March. But, just seeing all these posts that the 75GXP is bad news is freaking me out. Is there a reason why they're bad? I just wanna know if I should be backing up all my documents ASAP... :frown:

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Oh yes, backup you must. You see, the 75GXP's have been failing at an amazing rate. The first simptom is hearing a sh sound. Then you start developing bad sectors. You can find whether or not you have bad sectors if you run IBM's hard drive utility. I forget which web forum it was (may have been Anandtech) but like half teh forums there are about 75GXP's failing.

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
im quite partial to my 60GXP.

thought it was dying recently though, till i found out that my mobo was really screwing with everything, drive included.
problem fixed, drive back to normal

In memory of the 90+ Auzzies missing in the WTC disaster. An attack that has changed the world.

G

i've been using an IBM Ultra 100 drive for about a year..
And i don't turn off my machine, only reboot for installing or uninstalling...

So as far as stable, its the most stable i've seen or used... and i've used WD and Maxtor.. (btw, i had a WD die on me before) and i currently have a Maxtor on its last leg..