What Drivers do I need to install on my first build?

Itz_aaaron

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
I've just built my first PC, and i now have to install the drivers but I have no idea which ones i need to install.

I am running Windows 10 64-bit version.

Specs:

• MSI Z170-A Pro
    Intel i5-6600k
    Cooler Master 212x
    16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 Memory
    GeForce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
    1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
    240GB Samsung 850 Evolution SSD

Thanks.

Solution
First just let your first build boot with the native drivers in Windows.

See if everything works even though it may not be optimal. Idea being that if a problem occurs it may be the device and not the drivers per se.

Then you download the drivers for each installed component from the respective manufacturer's website.

I.e., graphics card, network adapters, sound card, keyboard/mouse, printer, DVD/CD, etc..

The important thing to remember is to download and install only one driver at a time.

That way, if something goes wrong, you can roll back to the original component driver.

Make a list, find the downloads (again via the manufacturer's website), and keep notes as you go.

You do want drivers for Windows 10, 64 bit.

Watch and...

Ralston18

Titan
First just let your first build boot with the native drivers in Windows.

See if everything works even though it may not be optimal. Idea being that if a problem occurs it may be the device and not the drivers per se.

Then you download the drivers for each installed component from the respective manufacturer's website.

I.e., graphics card, network adapters, sound card, keyboard/mouse, printer, DVD/CD, etc..

The important thing to remember is to download and install only one driver at a time.

That way, if something goes wrong, you can roll back to the original component driver.

Make a list, find the downloads (again via the manufacturer's website), and keep notes as you go.

You do want drivers for Windows 10, 64 bit.

Watch and read any installation warnings or error codes.

Also watch for downloads and driver installations that attempt to install other programs, utilities, etc. collectively referred to as "crap ware". Some may even try to make it appear that you must do so. Or sneakily default to doing so.

Be patient and just work through it all.

Solution

jensrobot

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Hey Itz_aaaron
Nice build.
Actually microsoft update is getting much better at finding the right drivers for your devices automatically. I used to be very cautious using tools for getting drivers. But Microsofts built in function is actually good now in my experience. Much better than when the started to integrate the function back in windows 7 i think it was.

However. I still recommend getting drivers manually, especially the graphics drivers, as microsoft is a little behind updating these.

Get Geforce experience and let that sort it out for ya. I use it for driver updates and Shadowplay (recording gameplay with very little fps loss) only. Not the game library auto optimizing crap - you don't need that.
You should go to your motherboard vendors site (direct link to your model: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170-A-PRO.html). Go to driver section and download all of them - it looks clean and no bloatware as other vendors do. This will make absolutely sure you have the newest and proper drivers.

And if you don't know, it's basically only your motherboard components and graphics card you need drivers for, unless ofc your have external gear plugged in, in which case they might need drivers too :)

Good luck

Deanosaur2000

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017

jensrobot

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Can i add that most vendors are already/going away from driver cd's, part of the reason is you will almost always get an outdated driver. Best to use the links :)