What drivers for U.2 Intel 750 as system disk in W10, raid enabled but not used

LinwoodFerguson

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
This is part of experimenting to solve a different problem (here).

I have a new Z170 build, three Samsung 850 EVO's and one Intel 750, using a U.2 port on the MB.

As part of trying to figure out why the sata ports were not working, I decided to try raid mode on the sata ports to see if it behaved differently (suspecting a bios issue, and maybe this used somewhat different code).

First, when in AHCI mode, the 750 is visible during W10 install without any special drivers, as are the 850's.

Switching to raid mode, for experimenting I built one raid-1 of two 850's, left the Intel alone and one 850 alone.

In W10 setup only the 850 not in the raid set shows. I installed the Rapid Store driver at that point, and the raid set showed. The Intel did not.

So I tried installing the Intel NMVe drivers for the 750
(here). Those do not show as compatible (i.e. I have to uncheck the box to view them, and if installed they do not show the 750 either).

I cannot find a driver that makes the 750 show up when the Sata configuration is put into Raid mode. Note that there is no separate bios control for the 750, when you shift Sata to raid mode, the 750 follows along and appears in the raid setup as an unused disk.

My expectation was it would remain (whether literally or not I do not know) in AHCI mode and visible without special drivers, just as it does when the sata configuration is fully in AHCI mode. Alternatively, I expected the raid driver that does work to make the raidset visible for the 850.

Any ideas?

This is a Gigabyte GA-z170x-Designare, latest bios (F2), Windows 10 anniversary x64 pro.

Thanks,

Linwood

PS. Incidentally I did not plan to use raid mode anyway, I've been quite happy with AHCI and Storage Spaces, but am trying this to diagnose a problem with ports 0 and 1 on the MB. I figured if Raid would work properly there, it would give some indication the hardware itself is fine.

LinwoodFerguson

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
Postscript: I am still curious, but I just tried installing W10 on the (visible) raid set instead of the 750, and it hangs, so this is not working around my original problem with the two Sata ports. So if you know -- I'm curious. But not worth a lot of research as I won't be going this way anyway.

TRENDING THREADS