Question What drivers/things do I need to do after this motherboard upgrade?

SavagedBlade

Reputable
Oct 30, 2016
I recently just bought an ASRock b450 pro4 motherboard to pair with a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb 3000mhz ram, and a nvme 250gb ssd. I’m very new to this process and I’m wondering if there are any essential drivers I need to install other than audio.

Do I need to install a driver for the ssd? Would Windows be exactly the same once I boot, like no change ever happened, or will I need to setup windows again? Should I backup my data beforehand?

SavagedBlade

Reputable
Oct 30, 2016
Its always recommended to reinstall windows after hardware upgrade... u need to install chipset driver, lan driver, etc ... ie all essential drivers... no u do not need to install a driver for ssd...
Hi, thanks for the response. I am planning on installing windows to my ssd and using that as my boot drive, would that be sufficient?

I recently just bought an ASRock b450 pro4 motherboard to pair with a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb 3000mhz ram, and a nvme 250gb ssd. I’m very new to this process and I’m wondering if there are any essential drivers I need to install other than audio.

Do I need to install a driver for the ssd? Would Windows be exactly the same once I boot, like no change ever happened, or will I need to setup windows again? Should I backup my data beforehand?
First driver to update isn't really a driver...it's the motherboard BIOS. check that yours is the latest, with at AGESA 1004b at least. That's important for Ryzen 3000 CPU's.

Otherwise, you don't have to install all drivers as Windows 10 will probably provide basic support for many things in particular Audio and LAN. But you could also get the LAN driver and audio driver from your motherboard support web site if you prefer. Although you may have to install the Audio control panel applet from the Windows store.

One driver pretty important to install though is the chipset driver and you should get that from the AMD web site to be sure you're getting the latest.

It depends on which mfr's NVME you have but Windows installs a default NVME driver that's perfectly suitable. But if you have a Samsung NVME you'll need to install their driver (get it from the Samsung web site) to be able to use their drive utilities. I can't say it improves performance compared to the Windows NVME driver though. Not that I've noticed with mine, at least.