What drives work in a Latitude external drive case?

I have a Latitude C840 that I recently bought used. I also have a variety
of "drive modules" that fit the modular bay, including a floppy, CDRW, zip,
and several HDDs. I originally got these for use with an Inspiron 8000, but
expect them to function with the Latitude C840. I have also seen reference
to an "external drive case" and a cable that can be used to connect at least
some of these drive modules to the rear of the C840 -- I guess to the
parallel port, or the docking station connector. E.g., see the link
http://store.yahoo.com/priorityelectronics/53dellatcpse.html for a cable
that connects to a parallel port,
http://store.yahoo.com/priorityelectronics/9gdellatc4se.html for a cable
that appears to connect to the dock port, and
http://www.laptopsetc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=191 for a
case and cable combination (not clear what type).

My question: Would all of the drive types I mention above function via such
a connection to the read of the C840? My gut tells me that maybe the
connection to the parallel port would only enable the floppy drive, and not
the others. Can anyone shed light on this? The cable at
http://store.yahoo.com/priorityelectronics/9gdellatc4se.html is described as
being for the C400 Latitude series -- would it function also with the C840?

Thanks.

What I'm looking for is a way to run the C840 with drives loaded in two
"media bays" -- just as I would be able to do if I used a C/Dock II with the
C840.

Robert

None will on the C840. The floppy works externally on a C640.
The C840 has two IDE controllers. Channel1 for the hard drive and CD drive
on the side. Channel2 for the modular bay.
The floppy drive is also modular bay only as it doesn't have a requirement
for parallel port like the C640.

"A.E. Eckberg" <a.e.eckberg@att.net> wrote in message
> I have a Latitude C840 that I recently bought used. I also have a variety
> of "drive modules" that fit the modular bay, including a floppy, CDRW,
zip,
> and several HDDs. I originally got these for use with an Inspiron 8000,
but
> expect them to function with the Latitude C840. I have also seen
reference
> to an "external drive case" and a cable that can be used to connect at
least
> some of these drive modules to the rear of the C840 -- I guess to the
> parallel port, or the docking station connector. E.g., see the link
> http://store.yahoo.com/priorityelectronics/53dellatcpse.html for a cable
> that connects to a parallel port,
> http://store.yahoo.com/priorityelectronics/9gdellatc4se.html for a cable
> that appears to connect to the dock port, and
> http://www.laptopsetc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=191 for a
> case and cable combination (not clear what type).
>
> My question: Would all of the drive types I mention above function via
such
> a connection to the read of the C840? My gut tells me that maybe the
> connection to the parallel port would only enable the floppy drive, and
not
> the others. Can anyone shed light on this? The cable at
> http://store.yahoo.com/priorityelectronics/9gdellatc4se.html is described
as
> being for the C400 Latitude series -- would it function also with the
C840?

> Thanks.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to run the C840 with drives loaded in two
> "media bays" -- just as I would be able to do if I used a C/Dock II with
the
> C840.

Thanks -- that's good to know.

But now I'm wondering if the media bay in a C/Dock II will support modular
drives with the C840 (since the C/Dock II connects to the Latitude via the
same rear port as the "dock port" cable does). Can you clarify that?

Hi

Just for your info, tried the multiple drive thing:

C840, with 40gb drive in modular bay, and one in the bay on the C/DOCK II,
all works ok.