[SOLVED] What effect game load times?

christoffe93

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013
Hi guys i've been looking at different types of hard rives such as SSD and NVME drives but don't know which one to buy. I've been playing rust a lot and seems to take a while to boot into a server i recently swapped over to a cheap nvme running around 1600 mpbs write speeds and it hardly made any difference. Could someone explain to me what components or HD spec's effect the loading times of games. I've started to think maybe memory speeds/timing could effect it or even the memory controller, core count or even clock speed could also play a role. I went into this confident i knew what i was doing but i'm now even more confused.

Edit: I do have 8GB of ballistix at 2600mhz but I think rust requires 10GB could the loss of this 2GB be the cause?

Last edited:
Solution
real world there is litle difference between the ssd and nvme. the specs look massively better for nvme and very specific test loads benefit but overall real world use shows almost no benefit for the much higher priced nvme drive.

i'd get that nice 1 tb ssd and know you're gonna be in great shape

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
loading the game and logging into a server are 2 different things. the fast drive will load the game into ram faster but that has nothing to do with anything after that. logging into a server would be effected by internet speeds, how the server on the other end is set-up and other factors you can't control.

the fastest system in the world connecting to an old slow server is going to be limited by that server no matter what the super fast system tries.

so long as the game is getting started up quickly, and once gameplay starts, it plays smoothly, then your system is doing its job. a server responding slow, is out of your hands really.

christoffe93

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013
loading the game and logging into a server are 2 different things. the fast drive will load the game into ram faster but that has nothing to do with anything after that. logging into a server would be effected by internet speeds, how the server on the other end is set-up and other factors you can't control.

the fastest system in the world connecting to an old slow server is going to be limited by that server no matter what the super fast system tries.

so long as the game is getting started up quickly, and once gameplay starts, it plays smoothly, then your system is doing its job. a server responding slow, is out of your So would you say im better off using a cheaper SS over nvme drive for games?

So would you say im better off keeping to SSD over NVME if im just using it for gaming? As I've basically bought a nvme 256gb for the price of a 1tb SSD if there would be no difference between the two I could take it back.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
real world there is litle difference between the ssd and nvme. the specs look massively better for nvme and very specific test loads benefit but overall real world use shows almost no benefit for the much higher priced nvme drive.

Solution

christoffe93

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013

Thnaks for the help I'll take this junk back n get myself a bigger ssd.