scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Well i am not sure where to post this, so if something similar exists somewhere else, please let me know.

I would like to know what else i can do with my secondary computer, my desktop. i primarily use my laptop for most of my computing need. i have a desktop(p4, 2.0ghz, 512 ram, 80 gig hdd), and currently i use it for some media things, and emulators. but i was wondering what else i could do with it? any neat ideas i could try out? it is not much of a gaming machine, but can output to a tv. anyone?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Put Linux on it. It's frustrating, but fun at the same time. I only say it's frustrating because it's so new to me. There is a ton of cool things you can do with it. I use Suse 10.1 that I downloaded at Linuxiso.org.

If anything would get you excited about it, MythTV will.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Well i am not sure where to post this, so if something similar exists somewhere else, please let me know.

I would like to know what else i can do with my secondary computer, my desktop. i primarily use my laptop for most of my computing need. i have a desktop(p4, 2.0ghz, 512 ram, 80 gig hdd), and currently i use it for some media things, and emulators. but i was wondering what else i could do with it? any neat ideas i could try out? it is not much of a gaming machine, but can output to a tv. anyone?
Try running Linux on it. It's free, fun, and
is educational. It's interesting to learn how to use command line,etc. if you
don't already know. GL :)

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
well as it turns out i did try linux(redhat), and did try mythtv, but just got frusterated because i was not able to get it to work 100%. i consider myself skilled when it comes to computers, but when one grows up with windows they become spoiled and do not want to manually mount things, or other little details....