What exactly doesn’t intel optane memory do and does it go in the RAM or PCI.E slot?

Matronisaacs

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
This mother board I’m going to get for my i5 8600k is £167.87 without 32gb intel optane memory but the same motherboard with the 32gb intel optane memory bundle is £187.82, 32gb intel optane memory by itself is £68.17 so that’s quite a bargain. All I know about it is that it’s speeds up regular sata hardrives, I’m going to get a 500gb ssd anyway to go with my 2TB hard drive, but what does optane memory actually do and how faster will my hard drive be?

Solution

It is a 32GB cache drive for the spinning hard drive.

How much faster? Some...

A regular full size SSD (250GB or so), is much better than the optane thing.

USAFRet

Titan

It is a 32GB cache drive for the spinning hard drive.

How much faster? Some...

A regular full size SSD (250GB or so), is much better than the optane thing.

Solution

This is what it currently is. Intel plans, possibly, for it to become NVDIMMs as they have that now in servers but thats a long time coming. Right now its not worth the cost. Especially with SSDs dropping and a lot of information is posing that they will be down to $0.08/GB which is damn close to HDDs current $/GTB.

USAFRet

Titan

Then the Optane is not really necessary.
What ends up on the HDD won't really benefit.

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
yea,
What USAFRet said SSD dont benefit from Optane, only HDDs with spining heads and those dont benefit much if that data isnt used often Optane is like cache and cant be directly used. best use for optane is you have 1 HDD dunno load windows and play Fortnite, so Optane sees that and loads both on it so you can load it faster while leaving the HDD for rest of stuff the system needs.

TRENDING THREADS