What Fallout 4 settings is everyone else using?!

Hi community

I'd just like to find out what settings everyone is running on what gear as the game has been out where I live anyway for two days and I only just last night sat down and did a good 2 hours play of the game on recommended settings and I have come across bugs and low fps which I now have kind of fixed.

I thought this thread would be a good idea as if anyone is having problems with bugs, low fps and other issues with the game someone may have to the same problem.

I will but text in bold that is a contributing factor to the problems and I would ask if you could do the same

My computer specs:
-i5 4460 3.20GHz
-MSI GTX 970 4GB
-Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 2x4GB Dual Channel 8GB kit
-1920x1080 LG monitor
-500w Corsair Bronze
-1TB WCD Hard drive
-ASRock Z97 Anniversary Motherboard
-Windows 7 Ultimate

Settings before changes (Could you please post yours):

Resolution - 1920x1080 ( Fullscreen)
Antialiasing - TXAA
Anisotropic Filtering - 16 Samples
Texture Quality - Ultra
Shadow Quality- Ultra
Shadow Distance - Ultra
Decal Quality - Ultra
Lighting Quality- Ultra
Godrays Quality - Ultra
Depth of Field - Boketh
Ambient Occlusion - SSAO
Screen Ambient Reflections - Enabled
Wetness - Enabled
Motion Blur - Enabled
Lens Flare - Enabled
Rain Occlusion - Enabled

When the issues arrive I am at about 45fps

I started off with ultra and play 60fps and immediately found a clammy camera and I fixed that by putting the game on borderless windowed mode and now the camera is smooth as ever but then the fps dropped when I eventually got to the city of Lexington where a nuclear storm started and the fps drop to 45 which was terrible, I fixed low fps dropping to 45 by rolling back my fallout 4 game ready driver (seems that drivers crap on my side).
After another hour I arrive finally at Diamond City and enter and got a drop of frame to 45-50. I went through all my settings one by one turning them up and I found the biggest hogs were shadow distance which I put to medium and god ray's which I put to low. The game looks not different from ultra with these two settings changed.
Also I did come across with a wetness setting bug where when I loaded my world with the screen ambient reflections setting disabled the areas effected by the rain would all be white (pretty scary) I simply turn the wetness setting off as well and that fixed it seems you can have them both on to avoid this or both off you can't have just one on it seems

My current settings are now:

Resolution - 1920x1080 ( Windowed Borderless)
Antialiasing - TXAA
Texture Quality - Ultra
Shadow Quality- Ultra
Shadow Distance - Low
Decal Quality - Ultra
Lighting Quality- Ultra
Godrays Quality - Low
Depth of Field - Boketh
Ambient Occlusion - SSAO
Wetness - Enabled
Motion Blur - Enabled
Lens Flare - Enabled
Rain Occlusion - Enabled

After changes I am currently at 60fps but will test in other cities when I get back onto the game

What is everyone else's settings?

If you had any bugs what were your fixes?

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Wayfall - i will post as per the template above, but i really think you need to look at this link as it relates to this post

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2858327/4670k-good-anymore-bottleneck-fallout.html

My computer specs:
-i5 4670k 4.2GHz
-EVGA GTX 980 Ti 8GB
-DDR3 1600Mhz 4x4GB Dual Channel
-3840 x 2160 Acer XB280HK monitor
-850w XFX Black Bronze
-Samsung 840 Pro SSD
-MSI G45 Gaming z87
-Windows 10 Pro

Settings before changes (Could you please post yours):

Resolution - 3840 x 2160 ( Fullscreen)
Antialiasing - TXAA
Texture Quality - Ultra
Shadow Quality- Ultra
Shadow Distance - Ultra
Decal Quality - Ultra
Lighting Quality- Ultra
Godrays Quality - Ultra
Depth of Field - Boketh
Ambient Occlusion - SSAO
Wetness - Enabled
Motion Blur - Enabled
Lens Flare - Enabled

Resolution - 3840 x 2160 ( Windowed Borderless - to fix Microstutter)
Antialiasing - OFF- increased FPS @ 4k
Texture Quality - Ultra
Shadow Quality- Medium - Best for performance / vidual fidelity tradeoff
Shadow Distance - High - Best for performance / vidual fidelity tradeoff
Decal Quality - Ultra
Lighting Quality- Ultra
Godrays Quality - Low - higher settings i dont see any difference but a massive drop in performance
Depth of Field - Boketh
Ambient Occlusion - SSAO
Wetness - Enabled
Motion Blur - Disabled- personal preference
Lens Flare - Enabled

Update(s)

12/11/15

- Running Fullscreen imrpoves FPS by ~3 BUT re-introduces microstuttering in camera movement.
- Running Shadow Distance - Medium vs High improves FPS by 5 at 4k Resolution. (Screenshots below for comparison)

- Running Rolled back driver resulted in ~2fps loss.
- Lightin Quality - set to medium as "In Fallout 4, the impact of the effect is subtle, and only truly observable during dialog when characters and the action are static, and the camera's close to an actor's face" - according to Nvidia's tweaking guide found Here.

- Screen Space Reflections - Reduce performance alot in busy area's and just reflect images in water. not worth the hit imo

Final Settings:

Resolution - 3840 x 2160 ( Windowed Borderless - to fix Microstutter but lose ~3fps)
Antialiasing - OFF- increased FPS @ 4k
Texture Quality - Ultra
Shadow Quality- Medium - Best for performance / vidual fidelity tradeoff i found
Shadow Distance - Medium - Best for performance / vidual fidelity tradeoff i found
Decal Quality - Ultra
Lighting Quality- Ultra
Godrays Quality - Low - higher settings i dont see any difference but a massive drop in performance
Depth of Field - Standard
Ambient Occlusion - SSAO
Screen Ambient Reflections - Disabled
Wetness - Enabled
Rain Occlusion - Enabled
Motion Blur - Disabled- personal preference
Lens Flare - Enabled

My CPU is fine as I had put post up many months before asking about my CPU and my GPU and all the people say mine its fine. Anyway the games is VERY buggy and after playing for a bit I find it isn't all that optimized really, its okay for its first version.

Also I found this, many of my threads asking about my pcs power ended with a yes you'll be fine like this one: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2848643/fallout-concerned-4460-2ghz.html

Also do what I did and put shadow distance to medium as that was a killer for me as was god rays but you have changed that setting.

My system is fine is just some settings (as in my case two) are huge unoptimized hogs.

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Got everything sorted, and updated my main post.

you need to add Rain Occlusion - Enabled to your 'list' in the opening post.

you should try this : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/40/?

press 'insert' in game once its installed to enable/disable it - it makes the game look sooooo much better!

Ye good to know and I have added to my original post , also if you find anyone with framerate problems please could you direct them to this thread.

Also the mod you mentioned I have seen it before but I wanted to get the game running smooth before looking at making it a bit better graphics wise.

At home:

i7-4790k @ 4.0
16gb @ 2133
980ti

1080p @ Ultra Preset, V-sync Disabled, FPS capped at 60 with Rivatuner. (Because the game loses its **** at higher FPS)

At work:
i3-4130
8gb @ 1600
750ti

It defaults to a low preset.
1080p @ High preset, Antiscrop @ 2x, FXAA, Out and about runs about 50, drops to 35, diamond city stays between 35-30.

As long as it doesn't go below 30 FPS, I don't consider it to be a diminished experience.

That's why i don't really understand people complaining about drops to 45.

Could you post using are posts as templates for hardware and settings, cheers

45fps drops dont bother me just the frametime latency spikes that are most jarring. I am using the final setting that Jonathan Cave is using but only with a gtx 970 @ 1440p. The options that this user scaled down seem to be the best for getting smooth performance in this far-from-optimized game. It's just too fun to wait for it to run smooth in a month or two.

TRENDING THREADS