What falls under my budget?

hershgupta

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Hey guys,
So I planned and save enough money to buy HDD and SSD.
I bought my pc from local store in 2013,April and the shopkeeper gave me Segate ~5000rpm 1TB hdd which sucks. But I have SSD Samsung 840 120GB, so I managed somehow.
So now I am buing Western Digital Black Caviar 4TB and 500GB of SSD.
My mind is pretty much confirmed that Black Caviar is the best and fastest for gaming, but I am not sure about SSD, to which one to buy.
I can spend 300-400$ on SSD itself and i don't want more than 500GB.
So help me out to find a good ssd for fast bootup and gaming and also do tell me if Black Caviar 4TB is a good choice or not.

EDIT : I have Asrock z77 extreme 4, I hope the black Caviar and new ssd will support right? I don't have great knowledge about this.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
I think If it was my money, I would rather have two 2TB hdds instead of one 4TB hdd, but the WD Black is the one to get if you're going to get one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($164.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($198.92 @ Amazon)
Total: $363.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-12 16:56 EDT-0400

hershgupta

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Can i ask you why would you choose two 2TB instead of one 4TB?
Btw, I already have 5k rpm Segate hdd, which is very slow and is 1TB.
And will my Motherboard will support these hdd and ssd?
I am having Asrock z77 extreme.

hershgupta - Your ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard can support up to a total of 4 standard 2.5 inch SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drives or a combination of solid state drives and hard disk drives.

I normally recommend Samsung solid state drives. The Samsung ssd's perform well and have a proven track record. Intel and SanDisk are also worth considering.

If you are in the United States, then you can purchase a standard 2.5 inch Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive for $179,99 USD and shipping is free. The sale price is part of Newegg's "daily deal" special promotions. Here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

I maintain an ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the SATA 3 section where will fond the Samsung 850 EVO and other brands and models you might be interested in. Follow the links to the technical reviews. The ssd reviews are in English and many other languages.