[SOLVED] What Fans can I use with the Z390P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phosfr

Commendable
Jul 21, 2017
I've just upgraded my PC, with an OC bundle which included CPU, MOBO, RAM and Cooler.

My new MOBO is an ASUS Z390-P. After looking around the board it only has 2 Fan headers.

I was hoping to put some RGB fans in there but they all seem to be PWM or a different 4-pin connector to what my board has.

I can let the RGB slide if it's not possible, but what fans do.i actually have to order? And what splitter/ fan controller would be good to get?

I don't want to buy anything that doesn't fit.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I've just upgraded my PC, with an OC bundle which included CPU, MOBO, RAM and Cooler.

My new MOBO is an ASUS Z390-P. After looking around the board it only has 2 Fan headers.

I was hoping to put some RGB fans in there but they all seem to be PWM or a different 4-pin connector to what my board has.

I can let the RGB slide if it's not possible, but what fans do.i actually have to order? And what splitter/ fan controller would be good to get?

Thanks in advance.
Your MB has two CHA_FAN 4 pin headers, with a spliter that that's good for at least four 120 or 140mm fans, Just how many fans do you want ? Any 3 and 4 pin fans should work fine, headers are plain standard.
MB also has...

Thanks in advance.
Your MB has two CHA_FAN 4 pin headers, with a spliter that that's good for at least four 120 or 140mm fans, Just how many fans do you want ? Any 3 and 4 pin fans should work fine, headers are plain standard.
MB also has RGB header so any fans with RGB (not Argb) should also have lights.
If in doubt, just look up some RGB fans that may be available to you or you like them and post here. There are literally hundreds of such fans to choose from.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With RGB/ARGB, the fan and light is 2 totally seperate things, even if they are stuck together as a single unit. Fan power and lighting power aren't the same or come from the same place.

From a single motherboard header, you can control upto 10 pwm fans, that's about the limit you can split up the pwm signal before it looses too much amplitude. Power coming from the psu, not the header. Same concept as a hub, its just a physical, solid, powered splitter instead of a bunch of wires.

But that's just the fans. Got nothing to do with whether or not there is or is not ARGB/RGB. That'll be on the ARGB/RGB header to sort out. That's where the type of lighting is important to match up, with what your motherboard has headers for.

Phosfr

Commendable
Jul 21, 2017
MB also has RGB header so any fans with RGB (not Argb) should also have lights.
If in doubt, just look up some RGB fans that may be available to you or you like them and post here. There are literally hundreds of such fans to choose from.

Thanks for your reply.

I have ordered some of these:

Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB PRO, RGB LED, Low-Noise, High Airflow, Case Cooling Fan (Triple Pack), 120 mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VGJLZ8L/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_YEo3EbF3V31V1

With this as a fan hub:

DEEPCOOL FH-10 Hub for 10 Fans, 3 or 4 Pin PWM Function for each port, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B5F5VKM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_bGo3EbMAFVME1

If I understand correctly, I plug the hub into one of the fan headers, then all the fans into the hub

Thanks for your reply.

I have ordered some of these:

Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB PRO, RGB LED, Low-Noise, High Airflow, Case Cooling Fan (Triple Pack), 120 mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VGJLZ8L/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_YEo3EbF3V31V1

With this as a fan hub:

DEEPCOOL FH-10 Hub for 10 Fans, 3 or 4 Pin PWM Function for each port, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B5F5VKM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_bGo3EbMAFVME1

If I understand correctly, I plug the hub into one of the fan headers, then all the fans into the hub
Yes, it can work like that too except you didn't need that hub for only 3 fans. Just don't plug in any CPU cooler fan(s), they should go to CPU_FAN header.

Phosfr

Commendable
Jul 21, 2017
Yes, it can work like that too except you didn't need that hub for only 3 fans. Just don't plug in any CPU cooler fan(s), they should go to CPU_FAN header.

Well I've bought 3 but I already have a cooler and 3 fans installed. I'll be adding two and replacing one fan with the Corsair ones

Status
Not open for further replies.