What fans do I need / should I remove drive cages?

sameijg

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
Right now I'm using the Fractal Define R5 case and I'm wondering if I need to add anymore fans, and if I should be removing unused drive cages.

What do you guys think? The default R5 computer case has 1 front intake fan, and 1 back exhaust fan. Plus I'm using the hyper 212 evo blowing air through the fins of the cpu cooler out to the back exhaust.

I don't plan on using SLI or anything like that. But will probably be doing some gaming/running vmware images/video editing/software compiling.

Incase you need my specs, here they are:

Computer Case: Fractal Define R5
Motherboard: Gigabyte z170g Gaming 5
PSU: EVGA Gold 650 Watt Power Suppy
CPU: i7 6700k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: None yet-- Although I plan on getting "Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card"

From what I understand, it sounds like I might be able to get away with only using the fans that came with the case. But am just looking for some confirmation, and also wondering if I should be removing any empty drive cages.

I don't really want to have to remove the drive cages incase I change or add anything later. But I also don't want to mess with the airflow.

Thoughts?

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
I wouldn't sweat it but a top exhaust fan wouldn't hurt. Personally I hate those giant air CPU coolers due to the clutter in the middle of the case. An H105 would be perfect in that case! Your video card will be your biggest heat generator and you want some cool air coming in from the front to get to it then your rear/top exhaust to get the hot air out. That 980 will take a lot to heat up though.

sameijg

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Thanks for the response :) Not sure if I really want to switch to a liquid CPU cooler after doing a bunch of research and choosing the Hyper 212 :p But it's still great information to hear :)

So I could get a top exhaust too. But do you think I would lacking intake then? That would mean only 1 intake in the front of the case, and 2 exhausts (one in the back and one on the top). Or is that normal?

Also, what do you think about the drive cages? Do you think they should be removed?