[SOLVED] What fans for Push-Pull on air cooler? Prime95 safe for 9th Gen Intel?

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I have heard here on the forum that when using push-pull cooling on an air cooler, that they should not be matched. That the exhaust should have higher CFM than the intake; which in turn should have superior static pressure. First, is this true? Second, can someone recommend a good pair of 120mm fans?

They will be used on different coolers over time. Hyper 212 Black Edition now, but others as well.

2nd question: Is latest version of Prime95 safe for 9th gen i5/i7 CPU stress testing, or should I stick with version 26.6 like I did for Haswell?

Last edited:
Solution
First part is almost true, only that intake fan needs to be of high pressure type only when cooler fans are very close to each other or corrugated. On the other hand, push-pull on air coolers does very little to temperatures, couple of degrees at most. More important part is to be in the middle of air stream in the case, ie. turned so intake fan faces case air intake and rear the case exhaust.
I'm not proponent of torture testing just for the sake of it, but to be used only as a troubleshooting tool as it's not likely that any real application can push system that far and over stresses components without a good cause.
First part is almost true, only that intake fan needs to be of high pressure type only when cooler fans are very close to each other or corrugated. On the other hand, push-pull on air coolers does very little to temperatures, couple of degrees at most. More important part is to be in the middle of air stream in the case, ie. turned so intake fan faces case air intake and rear the case exhaust.
I'm not proponent of torture testing just for the sake of it, but to be used only as a troubleshooting tool as it's not likely that any real application can push system that far and over stresses components without a good cause.

Solution

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Good to know, Count Mike. I was wondering why my i5-9600K (stock) hits occasional peaks of mid-70Cs running Intel Burn Test, while mostly staying in the mid-50Cs. (Hyper 212 Black Edition)
That didn't seem to leave much headroom for an OC.