What files do I need to move to make hdd secondary drive?

Robert-

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
I don't have much space on my ssd after installing a few games, all my programs and windows onto it.
Was wondering to properly make my hdd the secondary drive what do I need to move and how?

I don't want all data and stuff that apps create to be on my ssd as eventually it will add up and become full and I want to leave some space for it to work properly.

Only thing I've done is set chrome downloads to the hdd. Can or I should move the user folder? As I'm sure that takes up space storing data.

Solution
you could look at manually controlling the page file (i keep mine at only 2000MB) and disabling hibernation. those would free up a few gigs of "locked space" that you have no other way of releasing. how big is your SSD to begin with - a 120/128G?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
you can "move" each of the Documents, Pictures, Videos, Downloads, Music libraries/folders. the build-in function will actually redirect all the contents to a new location "under the hood" so that ALL programs get deflected accordingly. very useful. it's basically a symbolic link.

right-click Downloads, properties, location, move - and follow the prompts

Hey there, @Robert-!

@giantbucket is right, you can redirect the default install path to the secondary HDD. Here's a thread with the links to the tutorials on how to get this done through Windows.

If you are up for a clean install, make sure you back up all important data and follow this tutorial on how to move the user profiles to the secondary HDD while installing Windows. You do it once and then forget about it, without filling up the SSD with random data.

Hope it was helpful. Best of luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Robert-

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

I've changed the location of each folder, would doing the clean install make much of a difference in terms of saving space? If not then I think I'm fine with how it is. Thanks for the help!

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
you could look at manually controlling the page file (i keep mine at only 2000MB) and disabling hibernation. those would free up a few gigs of "locked space" that you have no other way of releasing. how big is your SSD to begin with - a 120/128G?

Solution

Robert-

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

240gb down to 180 after windows and I'm down to 54gb from apps and games. Not sure how since I don't have many programs and games are CS:GO - 7gb, GTA 5 60gb and Arma 3 15gb