What fittings would I need?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
So I am going to install my first water cooling system in a PC. I am keeping it pretty simple since it is my first attempt.
The part list is as follows (the products are hyper-linked in case you can not tell):
MCRES Micro Rev2 Reservoir
MCP655-B Pump
MCRx20-XP "eXtreme Performance" Radiator Series (Tripple 120mm Version)
Apogee HD CPU Waterblock
3/4" Vinyl Tubing
Fill-port fittings (panel mount) with 1/2" barb
Remote fill-port fitting for MCRes Micro (Rev2)
Swiftech suggested the two fitting listed above for better performance than those included with the Apogee HD Waterblock.

My question is "Do I need any other fittings or adapters to connect the 3/4" tubing to the waterblock, radiator, and/or reservoir."

Also, is this a decent watercooling setup?

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
now_zps677b4d38.jpg

-Reservor to Pump
-Pump to Rad
-Rad to CPU
-CPU to Res

future_zpsb6b49f8a.jpg

-Res to Pump
-Pump to 360mm Rad
-360mm Rad to CPU
-CPU to 240mm Rad
-240mm Rad to top GTX 680
-Top GTX 680 to bottom GTX 680
-Bottom GTX 680 to Res

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
The second configurationj will not work. The reason why you have the reservoir before the pump is so that when you're filling your loop you never need to worry about burning out your pump by not having any liquid flowing through it. Your first one in this post and the red lines in the original are the two options you got.

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Keep in mind that a full thickness 360/420 rad up top will only be able to have fans up top and not on the bottom as well, if you want to do push pull you need a slimline rad (Alphacool XT series or XSPC EX).

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
nowfix_zps7f733f71.jpg

-Res and pump combo to slim rad
-slim rad to cpu
-cpu back to res and pump combo

futurefix_zps997e8498.jpg

-Res and pump combo to bottom slim rad
-bottom slim rad to gpu
-gpu to gpu
-gpu to slim top rad
-slim top rad to cpu
-cpu to res and pump combo

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Why the 2 images?

Also, are you getting a crossflow rad or a dual pass? Most rads are dual pass and the inlet/outlet are on the same end. Crossflow has opposite end I/O.

Also please realize that tubing and routing isn't as simple as it is to draw it in MS paint- you're going to have to make sure you have clearance for fittings and tubing. Your reservoir ports also aren't going to exist as you have them drawn, either.

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I put my current components onto the Switch 810 today. I also got the fittings today as well. I went and got the dimensions of some fans, a Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm, and the XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir. I made a cardboard cutout of the push/pull rad setup and the reservoir. I put the fittings in the general location of where they would be on the item themselves, and put them in my case. I was able to figure out a way to let the tubes be able to get into the fittings and for all the items to have a place to stay. I am happy to say that I believe that I found a proper setup for the water cooling. I would also like to say thanks to everyone for their help. I just asked about fittings at first, but you guys spent your time to help me get the right items and on where to place them. For that I thank you guys very much.