What folders to keep on "Program Files" folder?

lxjss

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
Hello. I wanted to clean my computer and asked you. What is the default folders of "Program Files" for Windows 7 Proffesional 32 bit.

Solution
The fastest way would be to format the drive and do a clean install of everything. Short of that you will need to uninstall the programs you don't use and manually delete the files you don't want to keep. Removing the folders from Programs Files without first uninstalling the programs will leave your registry in a mess. If the files in question are personal files you could simply delete the folder containing those files. You will not want to delete the parent folders Documents, Music, Pictures, Video) under libraries. You should be able to delete the folders you created without any harm being done.
The Programs Files folder is a directory of the software you installed. The best way to "clean" folders from Program Files is to uninstall any unwanted software through "Programs and Features" in Control Panel. If you delete folders from Programs Files without first uninstalling the program (software) you will create problems. If you want to know the default folders then look for anything with "Windows" or "Microsoft" in the name of the folder. If cleaning up the disk is what you desire then you might want to start with uninstalling unwanted programs and deleting unwanted files. It's not a good idea to start with the Program Files folder.
You could also run Disk Cleaner or download and run CCleaner to reclaim free space on the drive.

lxjss

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I have about 300-500 programs. The uninstalling will take me forever. I have 50 gb left on my HDD of 500 gb. Wanted to know what is the fastest method to delete all the personal files and programs.

lxjss

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I have about 300-500 programs. The uninstalling will take me forever. I have 50 gb left on my HDD of 500 gb. Wanted to know what is the fastest method to delete all the personal files and programs.

The fastest way would be to format the drive and do a clean install of everything. Short of that you will need to uninstall the programs you don't use and manually delete the files you don't want to keep. Removing the folders from Programs Files without first uninstalling the programs will leave your registry in a mess. If the files in question are personal files you could simply delete the folder containing those files. You will not want to delete the parent folders Documents, Music, Pictures, Video) under libraries. You should be able to delete the folders you created without any harm being done.

Solution