[SOLVED] What frequency will my system be running?

MrBoogie

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
I've no experience with overclocking and don't really want to, since I'm looking for a stable stock system running Pro Tools 12 running at the lowest stable latency possible, no gaming or whatever. That begs the question, at what frequency will the following system run with stock settings?

https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/user/MrBoogie/saved/tNDtgs

Just a little explanation. I know an H370 or even a B370 board will be enough when not oc'ing (hence also the 8700 non K), but funny enough this Z370 board is cheaper for me than all the others, so might as well get it. Also the G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000 is cheaper than the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666.

So will my system be running at 2666, 3000 or higher with this? Is there somehting I need to reconsider in this system? Thanks!

Solution
It depends on your definition of "stock" 2133 is the default DDR4 clock. Your motherboard BIOS may default to 2400 or 2666, I don't have that specific motherboard. It will depend on the timings table on the DIMMs and the motherboard. The only way to know is to try it.
Generally the only BIOS change required is to enable the XMP function. That uses the timings table on the DIMMs and changes several timing parameters including clock speed.

The supported, or better described, qualified list, is a motherboard thing not a CPU thing. That is the exact part numbers that the motherboard manufacturer has tested with that motherboard and what timings worked. If you can buy from the qualified list, you have had someone else run...

MrBoogie

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
Just for my frequency noobness: Why is that?

So I understand anything above 2666 mhz is considered overclocking and needs some sort of setting change in BIOS. The mobo, cpu and memory are all capable of more.

So my noob logic thinks a 3200 mhz CPU with 3000 mhz RAM on a stock setting 2666 mhz mobo would just cap at 2666 mhz. Why is it lower? And maybe more important, what are considerations to bring it up to 3000? Is it better or worse to run the memory at that speed? Does it play well with the 8700 or does it like different frequencies more? (I always see people on forums say such and such ram and frequency is on the "supported list" of a cpu, but I've until now been unable to find such a thing)

kanewolf

Titan
It depends on your definition of "stock" 2133 is the default DDR4 clock. Your motherboard BIOS may default to 2400 or 2666, I don't have that specific motherboard. It will depend on the timings table on the DIMMs and the motherboard. The only way to know is to try it.
Generally the only BIOS change required is to enable the XMP function. That uses the timings table on the DIMMs and changes several timing parameters including clock speed.

The supported, or better described, qualified list, is a motherboard thing not a CPU thing. That is the exact part numbers that the motherboard manufacturer has tested with that motherboard and what timings worked. If you can buy from the qualified list, you have had someone else run the risks of incompatibility. Intel has been more forgiving in RAM compatibility than AMD.

Solution

MrBoogie

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019

The supported, or better described, qualified list, is a motherboard thing not a CPU thing. That is the exact part numbers that the motherboard manufacturer has tested with that motherboard and what timings worked. If you can buy from the qualified list, you have had someone else run the risks of incompatibility. Intel has been more forgiving in RAM compatibility than AMD.

Thanks for all the info! It all makes much more sense to me now. I finally found the qualified list of the Gigabyte board and saw that quite a lot G.Skill memory is tested with XMP(y)

I suppose the difference between 2166 and in the neighborhood of 3000 is significant, and setting an XMP profile in the BIOS seems easy enough for someone who has built a few systems himself. I assume that running memory at it's certified speed isn't going to be an issue.