What game does DX12 cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Games that are designed with DX12 will have a lot of potential to be faster. DX11 games may get some increase in FPS. We need to see some comparative benchmarks to see if it really does matter.

There are no DX 12 games at the present time.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Games that are designed with DX12 will have a lot of potential to be faster. DX11 games may get some increase in FPS. We need to see some comparative benchmarks to see if it really does matter.

There are no DX 12 games at the present time.

Solution

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
In addition to what Kyllien said - if your CPU has a GPU built into it (like the Intel 4690K for example) then elements of DX12 will make use of that in addition to your discrete GPU to provide a small performance boost... effectively making use of some hardware you probably weren't using before (assuming your processor has it!).

But as has been said there aren't any true DX12 bred games out yet - but there will be.

I was aware of this back in April, there has been nothing since. I'm not convinced it wasn't a nice idea that they couldn't pull off. I dearly would love it to be so however, asymmetrical SLI woudl allow easy upgrade paths and if it is at DX12 level and not built into the app then no more SLI driver issues... it'd be great, i'm suspicious though.

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Fair point I have to admit - I can't see anything more recent about this! It's an interesting idea if they can get it to work properly though.

Ironically it doesn't mean much to me as I'm going to be running a Xeon processor with no integrated GPU so no performance boost for me!

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

True... but it's not a priority right now as I'm going to be gaming on 1080p for now anyway.

I've just picked up a Palit Jetstream GTX 980ti - it ought to see me through for the time being. I can always SLI another if I really need a boost in 6 months / a years time.

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Agreed :) I nearly went with the 970 myself - the only stoppers were the memory issue (3.5gb is fine, BUT in a years time I'll probably feel the benefit of more...) and it's just not quite at that speed that can handle 1440p+ across the board.

I'm building a brand new system so this one is meant to be my 'I won't need to worry about upgrading for some time to come' build ;)

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

That's a close call! I know a lot of people are still buying the 970 and equivalent cards - they're really good for their price point. As long as you don't expect to find it lacking power in the next 6 months but I guess if you're struggling in the new year you could always sell it on and go with the 980ti or equivalent...

Status
Not open for further replies.