What games can run on a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Josh likens

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2013
Hi, I have a old pc for my little brother, and it has no graphics card, a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 and 1GB of RAM. AssaultCube works fine, Sims 2 works at 20 FPS, Any GOLDSRC engine game runs smoothly, GTA 3, Vice city work at 20 FPS, Minecraft runs at 10 fps. All games have been set to the lowest settings possible. He wants to play Garry's Mod but the game closes on startup. I've tried swiftshader but it just makes the window all green. If I open task manager it's borderless, has no title, can't close, needs a logoff to close. Can games like Call Of Duty 1 work? The OS is Windows XP.

Solution
Games from its era might work, but with no graphics card you are going to be extremely limited. If its the Intel IGP its not going to do well, if its got an nVidia chipset it may do better, but really you are going to be restricted to games from ~1998-2003... There comes a point where its time to just get a cheapo $300 HP, it'll do better and not be a gaping security hole in your network.