[SOLVED] What Gigabit SWITCH for home use with NAS 4k streaming

Zdenek Kunz

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2013
Hello guys,

ive done house reconstruction, provided all rooms with CAT5e cables and now about to build my network.

Implanning to get NAS storage which should be cappable of streaming 4K all over the house. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS718-Diskless/dp/B075MZTQBT/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Synology+DiskStation+DS718+&qid=1566155867&s=gateway&sr=8-1 with some 6TB drives (WD or SEAGATE).

As there is about 12 cables from all rooms i need to get to switch to connect ot that NAS. Was thinking about NETGEAR GS 316 https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-16-P...NETGEAR+GS316&qid=1566156172&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Router will be also most likely from NETGEAR... havent decided yet, so if you can give me some advice on that.

Im not skilled at networking at all, just real basics, budget gets short and im wondering if thats a good combo of NAS and mainly switch for my use. There will be like one 4K stream at the time with some other network usage like youtube, browser etc, nothing really heavy in my eyes. No IP cameras and such.

So question is if that components are NOT "overkill" for such a usage. Any suggestions on SWITCH/ROUTER/NAS combo will help, so cheers in advance guys. Not sure how much switch matters.

Cheers if you got this far reading this,

Solution
The switch should be your least worry - a switch is a switch, it wont slow down your network.

I would read much more about your choice of NAS, and whether the CPU inside it will let you stream / transcode 4k video, and how many streams it can support. I'd visit Synology forums for more info.
The switch should be your least worry - a switch is a switch, it wont slow down your network.

I would read much more about your choice of NAS, and whether the CPU inside it will let you stream / transcode 4k video, and how many streams it can support. I'd visit Synology forums for more info.

Reactions: Zdenek Kunz
Solution

TRENDING THREADS