[SOLVED] What gives a Bitcoin its value?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I wasn't sure where on the forum to ask this question, so I chose networking pretty much at random. If this is a mistake, please point me in the correct direction.

To begin with, I'm ignorant as heck about cryptocurrency, so I have been doing a little online reading hoping to clear my head on the subject. Not working too well. I have been curious about where the Bitcoin gets its value. It's obviously not based on any commodity. A machine performs massive numbers of calculations and the owner is 'presented' with a Bitcoin or part of one. As of recently one Bitcoin had a value of ~$49, 000 US dollars.

I also read that Bitcoin mining today uses more electrical power than all of Argentina. Not exactly an energy conservative process if one cares about that sort of thing.

Why? Who pays out $49K for this imaginary Bitcoin? Or can it not be converted to normal currency?
See? I'm lost.

Last edited:
Solution
Who pays out $49K for this imaginary Bitcoin? Or can it not be converted to normal currency?
See? I'm lost.
imo, suckers, lol. It can be converted to regular currency, but the crux of it comes down to this--if a paper currency's demand dropped to zero, it would still be worth something because of what is 'backing' the currency (usually a nation-state). But these crytocurrancies have no such backing, and tout that as their 'strength'. So if the demand drops to zero, so will the value--there is nothing protecting a freefall other than demand.

And as far as merchants accepting payments, well, the issue with that is with the value of these fluctuating so much, the merchant can actually lose money by accepting a currency that can...
I think some of them could. Someone could create a "new" crypto currency with the intent of "pump and dump".
Crypto has no track record to speak of. Metals, and even paper currency of many countries have a 100+ year history. Crypto has less than 10 and some, like Chia have less than 5 years. There just isn't enough history to determine if they have any fraud or not.
Someone can sell gold that doesn't really exist...just because it's new doesn't make it a scheme, there is crime in every field and crypto is a new field so it's easier to fool people, but it's not a fraud in its self.

Ralston18

Titan
I am not a lawyer (full disclosure) but making claims to fool people seems like fraud to me.

Footnoting an advertisement , claim, or document with lots of unreadable fine print and legalese as a "caveat" seems to be the escape route against lawsuits.

Again I am not a lawyer so I will defer to those who are lawyers.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Bitcoin is juts as fragile as most currencies, including the US dollar. The dollar is backed by nothing. Not even precious metals. It's status as the world reserve currency is the only thing that has propped it up over the years, but that will eventually fail as well.

There was one country that moved to a labor backed currency, and created an economic miracle out of it, but we killed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.