[SOLVED] What good gpu for my old m atx pc? For gaming if can

Solution
powerlogic_magnum_250_psu_endgameyourexcess_1555225917_06fafd45_progressive.jpg

Ouch! That only has 12A of +12V power available, so in any modern sense, it's a 144W PSU. It was never 450W -- rating PSUs for peak power isn't an actual thing -- and this was designed for 90s PCs, so it hasn't really been a 230W PSU in 25 years. And Power Logic is known for selling dodgy junk.

In other words, any GPU upgrade will require a new PSU, which will have to factor into the budget.

DSzymborski

Titan

Ouch! That only has 12A of +12V power available, so in any modern sense, it's a 144W PSU. It was never 450W -- rating PSUs for peak power isn't an actual thing -- and this was designed for 90s PCs, so it hasn't really been a 230W PSU in 25 years. And Power Logic is known for selling dodgy junk.

In other words, any GPU upgrade will require a new PSU, which will have to factor into the budget.

Solution
Apr 8, 2020

Ohhh didn't know that cause i read other people selling it said 450w:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: Thanks for telling man, so basically i just need to find the right higher psu then find a new gpu

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Even a card like a GTX 750 ti is going to BLOW your current away. If you find one that just has a PCIe connection, it's a 75W card.

In a case like this, and unless you have a whole system upgrade in your near future I would go as absolutely low priced as you possibly could. Even with a FAR better GPU as above, that's still dated and your system isn't going to take advantage of much more, if this.

Side note, there is a guy from Texas selling his 750 in the forum classifieds right now....

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
EVGA B series is normally a decent budget option
There are a LOT of B-series from EVGA, and they are NOT good. The B2 is known to be good, though.

Given EVGA's confusing (and in my view, misleading) system of naming, and their mix of good and bad PSUs, I'd avoid them UNLESS it's one of the ones from the PSU discussion sticky. Namely: B2, GQ, G2, G2L, G3, P2 and T2

Otherwise, my go-to would be:
Seasonic Focus (or Prime, but Prime is high-end)
Corsair CXm, CX (2017), Vengeance, TX, TXm, RM, RMx (you can go HX/HXi and AX/AXi, but that again goes into high end pricey territory)

There are a LOT of B-series from EVGA, and they are NOT good. The B2 is known to be good, though.

Given EVGA's confusing (and in my view, misleading) system of naming, and their mix of good and bad PSUs, I'd avoid them UNLESS it's one of the ones from the PSU discussion sticky. Namely: B2, GQ, G2, G2L, G3, P2 and T2

Corsair CXm, CX (2017), Vengeance, TX, TXm, RM, RMx (you can go HX/HXi and AX/AXi, but that again goes into high end pricey territory)
Meant the B2

Reactions: King_V

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Meant the B2

I have to say that in a case like this I would absolutely use a budget rule I utilize. Select a cheap, name brand PSU where the rated output is only being used ~50% at max load for the proposed budget system.

I would absolutely go for a refurbished 600W white EVGA for $25 (when they come back) for something like this.