[SOLVED] What GPU can fit into my system?

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
my gpu currently is gt 1030, and my motherboard is a 0M5DCD, and my system model is a OptiPlex 390

i have a 240 wattz power supply, is there any gpu I can upgrade too?

i also have a i5 2400

Solution
Ok, you'll see a good performance increase in that case. It should leave you with a well balanced system as well, which means your CPU and GPU will be well matched with neither being overly powerful and hamstringing the other. The GTX 1650 SHOULD be fine as long as you buy one that doesn't need external power. If you are maxing out the GT 1030 the PSU should hold up ok-ish (240W is not a lot to work with, you will be stressing it). Both the 1030 and 1650 draw all their power from the PCIe slot, meaning they max out at about 75W. The magic of the 1650 is that it is well over twice the card the 1030 is, at similar power draw under full load.

To save some money you could also consider a GTX 1050. Buying a 1050 new is a HORRIBLE deal, but...
Part of this depends on what your CPU is. Depending on CPU you could see better performance from a GTX 1650, but if you have a low end CPU you might see very little to no improvement... that that power supply doesn't make shopping for a new GPU very easy at all. I'm not even sure it is a great idea using a GT 1030 with it.

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
Part of this depends on what your CPU is. Depending on CPU you could see better performance from a GTX 1650, but if you have a low end CPU you might see very little to no improvement... that that power supply doesn't make shopping for a new GPU very easy at all. I'm not even sure it is a great idea using a GT 1030 with it.
i have a i5 2400

Ok, you'll see a good performance increase in that case. It should leave you with a well balanced system as well, which means your CPU and GPU will be well matched with neither being overly powerful and hamstringing the other. The GTX 1650 SHOULD be fine as long as you buy one that doesn't need external power. If you are maxing out the GT 1030 the PSU should hold up ok-ish (240W is not a lot to work with, you will be stressing it). Both the 1030 and 1650 draw all their power from the PCIe slot, meaning they max out at about 75W. The magic of the 1650 is that it is well over twice the card the 1030 is, at similar power draw under full load.

To save some money you could also consider a GTX 1050. Buying a 1050 new is a HORRIBLE deal, but you might be able to find one used for a reasonable price. If we're being honest the GTX 1650 isn't a great deal either, but it does have the power consumption advantage, so if it is worth it or not is up to you.

I'm not going to wholeheartedly recommend the GTX 1650, but that is only down to your power supply. If you could source a 300W unit that fits your case and connections I'd do that as soon as you can.

Solution

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019

To save some money you could also consider a GTX 1050. Buying a 1050 new is a HORRIBLE deal, but you might be able to find one used for a reasonable price. If we're being honest the GTX 1650 isn't a great deal either, but it does have the power consumption advantage, so if it is worth it or not is up to you.

I'm not going to wholeheartedly recommend the GTX 1650, but that is only down to your power supply. If you could source a 300W unit that fits your case and connections I'd do that as soon as you can.
my gt 1030 works pretty well with my power suppply, you think if i got a 1650 it would be better? and also would it work? im also looking too upgrade my i5 2400 into a i7 2600

my gt 1030 works pretty well with my power suppply, you think if i got a 1650 it would be better? and also would it work? im also looking too upgrade my i5 2400 into a i7 2600
Would it be better? Oh yeah it would. It is nearly RX 570 levels of performance with a lot less power draw, which means 1080p gaming on medium to high settings at 60 fps on fairly new games. Adding an i7 would sweeten the deal.

As for it working? Yes. I think it would. It should work out of the box with little trouble... but I'd DEFINITELY upgrade that power supply before you get the i7. The i7 will use more power than the i5. Generally over stressed power supplies will fail in one of two ways. If you are lucky they will cut out and never turn back on again. If you are unlucky it fails in a spectacular fashion and takes out other components along with it. You generally want to avoid either.

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
Would it be better? Oh yeah it would. It is nearly RX 570 levels of performance with a lot less power draw, which means 1080p gaming on medium to high settings at 60 fps on fairly new games. Adding an i7 would sweeten the deal.

As for it working? Yes. I think it would. It should work out of the box with little trouble... but I'd DEFINITELY upgrade that power supply before you get the i7. The i7 will use more power than the i5. Generally over stressed power supplies will fail in one of two ways. If you are lucky they will cut out and never turn back on again. If you are unlucky it fails in a spectacular fashion and takes out other components along with it. You generally want to avoid either.
Ok, so I will def get more power supply before I buy the i7 and upgrade,
so my current system will support the gtx 1650? Also should I get more RAM cause i only have 8gb ram
This is waht im thinking of buying: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GeF...sh=item3b3e1fe251:g:XsQAAOSw6IVd6oqI&LH_BIN=1

Ok, so I will def get more power supply before I buy the i7 and upgrade,
so my current system will support the gtx 1650? Also should I get more RAM cause i only have 8gb ram
This is waht im thinking of buying: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1650-4GB-PCIe-w-HDMI-DVI-Ports/254445347409?hash=item3b3e1fe251:g:XsQAAOSw6IVd6oqI&LH_BIN=1
That card looks scammy as heck! I've never seen a 1650 with that skimpy of a cooler. There is zero way that is legit.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-...r_1_8?keywords=GTX+1650&qid=1582744701&sr=8-8
Spend the extra $10-15 to get an actual one.

The RAM upgrade is optional. I'd do it eventually, but no rush on it. DDR 3 is cheap, and a good used stick or two won't be too expensive.

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
That card looks scammy as heck! I've never seen a 1650 with that skimpy of a cooler. There is zero way that is legit.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-...r_1_8?keywords=GTX+1650&qid=1582744701&sr=8-8
Spend the extra $10-15 to get an actual one.

The RAM upgrade is optional. I'd do it eventually, but no rush on it. DDR 3 is cheap, and a good used stick or two won't be too expensive.
Okay I will buy this GPU within the next couple days, so this gpu will fit in my system and it wont be too big? I have OptiPlex 390 and 0M5DCD motherboard

Do you have a full tower one or a small form factor one? Because I googled your model and saw a full tower one, and went ahead on that assumption... but just looked again and there are those skinny tower/desktop small form factor ones. So... if you have the full tower one then you are good to go... if not, well... we might have to find something else.

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
Do you have a full tower one or a small form factor one? Because I googled your model and saw a full tower one, and went ahead on that assumption... but just looked again and there are those skinny tower/desktop small form factor ones. So... if you have the full tower one then you are good to go... if not, well... we might have to find something else.
i have a full tower one it isnt small

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
also, when i look here: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-OptiPlex-390/1958

it doesnt say gtx 1650 can fit

also, when i look here: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-OptiPlex-390/1958

it doesnt say gtx 1650 can fit
Don't worry about that. It is just offering suggestions. People have been throwing random GPUs into old Dell machines for a while with little to no compatibility issues. I have no reason to believe that the GTX 1650 would be any different. Plus if it doesn't work, you are buying from Amazon and they have a good return policy. There is little to no risk to you and a very very good chance it will work with no issues.