what gpu for an xp gaming build.

joshua_98

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
looking to make an xp gaming build to play older disc based games that dont work or dont work very well if windows 7 or 10. games such as fear, call of duty 2, far cry 1, far cry 2, serious sam, old star wars games, the older hitmans ect. the most demanding game ill play on it will probably be something like the original bioshock or something. the games will be sort of 96-07 releces. i know i want to use either a really fast core2duo or core2quad i want a recomendation on what gpu i should use. as i use nvidia in my 2 main pcs i kinda wana get a amd card but im open to suggestions from either brand.

Solution

GraySilencer

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

A used GTX 280 or 285 would be good for DirectX 9 games. Just make sure your power supply can handle it.

You've got some trouble coming.

Microsoft pulled all the XP service from their website, so you will be unable to upgrade an XP install disk to the right service pack for the games you want to play -- or to get ANY of the billion security patches needed to use XP safely. I discovered this by doing a fresh install on an XP based system, and was not really pleased. That system was converted to Linux Mint for a while, but now runs win7, so you can see the MS business model decision. If you run XP you need to get to a later service pack to run even SATA drives -- old IDE disk drives will have a nasty failure rate.

I never tried anything like this, maybe it'll work for you: http://betanews.com/2014/05/26/how-to-continue-getting-free-security-updates-for-windows-xp-until-2019/

If you just want a PC that can play old games then use WIN7 and modern HW.

If you are building a period piece and want only parts from 2007 and prior then suggest you look at getting a complete used XP system off ebay where the seller has not wiped their XP. You may also be able to get XP from somewhere else patched to the right level, however the version of XP you install must be compatible with the HW you are installing it on.

UPDATE: Nevermind, I should have known you can get anything you want on ebay including service pack 3 level XP installs.

Some new cards don't play nice with either with XP or older motherboards so I'll suggest you look into older gen GTX6xx or HD7xxx cards and go used rather than new (unless you find some old stock that is ;) ).
If you're running up to '07 I'd look for a HD7950 or GTX660Ti.
As with all these older designs, look for a good cooler, if possible read reviews before making a purchase, a quick Google can save some annoyance on this point.

5850 was strong than 6850 and fits the time period a bit better. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-6850-vs-Radeon-HD-5850

Be alert to AMD video card that were used for bit coin mining, they will be well thrashed. Nvidia cards of this period were not used for bitcoins because they had slow floating point so would be safer. ASICs and FPGAs have replaced video cards for mining now, so this is no longer a concern, but for the older cards....

This table gives relative performance for all important cards back through late 1990s. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

joshua_98

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

i also work in a computer shop for a living. i have acess to all the windows xp update we got loads on our server and i got all the right discs. all i need is a code which i can get of one of the old dells we got of a bank ages ago. i just need advice on parts really. its a nastolga thing really.

GraySilencer

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

Just thought I would put this out here. If you're looking to build a new system and not used (because you don't really know the history of used parts), this would work good and the Motherboard and GPU are compatible with OS's all the way from Windows XP to 10. I would stay offline, old versions of Windows are extremely vulnerable to viruses and other malware. You can get Windows XP Service Pack 3 off of Ebay. Before buying always check the seller's feedback.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($77.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($30.19 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cougar MX200 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $412.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-11 14:42 EDT-0400

joshua_98

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

that build is completly overkill for what i want it for

GraySilencer

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 370K 4.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($20.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 730 1GB Video Card ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $237.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-11 16:56 EDT-0400

Solution