[SOLVED] What GPU should I buy to my freshly built PC?

Dec 4, 2019
Here are my specs:
MOBO: GIGABYTE Z370M DS3H micro-ATX
CPU: Intel I5-8500 3.0 GHz (4.1 MAX OC)
RAM: Patriot Viper4 16 GB 3200 MHz
SSD: Kingston A2000 500 GB
PSU: nJoy Agon 600W (80+)
Cooler: Basic Intel CPU cooler
CASE: Cooler Master Q300L

I have a budget about a maximum 240 EUR. There's no more I can afford now to a GPU so if anyone has a good idea, let me know. My first thoughts were RX 590 8GB or GTX 1660 6GB

Solution
As for PSU, check the first link in my signature. You will absolutely want a high quality PSU - it is the lifeblood of your system. A poor quality PSU, when it eventually fails, will simply fail if you're very lucky. It can take out other components when it dies, and, sometimes, even result in fire.

Your 240 EUR budget should first go to a good power supply. Then, afterward, save up for a new GPU. The power supply should absolutely have priority.

The clock speeds,etc., can't be compared to each other, because Nvidia and AMD have two completely different architectures. The GTX 1660 has about a 5% performance lead over the RX 590. Also, the GTX 1660 typical consumes around 130W under load, whereas the RX 590 solutionconsumes...
Dec 4, 2019
Yes, I got that feedback alot, but I don't really understand why. 590 has better Core Clock Perf, more VRAM and bigger bandwidth (192 to 256). I'm really curious.

Reactions: King_V
Sounds like the psu you bought is a cheap unit.
You are likely using integrated graphics now which puts little stress on the PSU
Try to return the unit and replace it with a quality unit.

A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
>>The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.<<<
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
As for PSU, check the first link in my signature. You will absolutely want a high quality PSU - it is the lifeblood of your system. A poor quality PSU, when it eventually fails, will simply fail if you're very lucky. It can take out other components when it dies, and, sometimes, even result in fire.

Your 240 EUR budget should first go to a good power supply. Then, afterward, save up for a new GPU. The power supply should absolutely have priority.

The clock speeds,etc., can't be compared to each other, because Nvidia and AMD have two completely different architectures. The GTX 1660 has about a 5% performance lead over the RX 590. Also, the GTX 1660 typical consumes around 130W under load, whereas the RX 590 solutionconsumes around 225W.

A question, though, in order to determine what would be the best GPU for your needs.
  • What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have GSync, FreeSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?
If you don't know this information, the exact brand and model number of your monitor would be very helpful.

Also - what games will you be playing?

Solution
First, decide on the power you need.
A good 450w psu is all that is needed for a GTX1660.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
Here is a handy chart for other graphics cards you might buy, now or in the future:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Pick a tier 1/2, or perhaps 3 unit from a tier list like this:

Seasonic is a safe bet.