[SOLVED] What GPU should I get? HELP!

sshah1603

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
Hello, currently I have a Ryzen 5 2600 Cpu with a gtx 1060 6gb, the gpu is getting a bit old, I’ve had it for four years now and I’m looking for an upgrade. What gpu should I get? I want to make sure it dosent bottleneck because my cpu isint the greatest either.

Solution
If turning the detail from low to ultra in the games you play results in a very sizable drop in fps, a gpu upgrade is warranted. If fps barely changes at all, then your gpu is not the issue, the cpu cannot put out enough fps to saturate the gpu.

So if all you play is CSGO, LoL, skyrim, minecraft etc, that really isn't taxing on a gpu like a 1060 at all, then you don't need an upgrade. If you are playing Tom Clancy games or CoD on low because you have to, then you need help.

2 things to consider. Budget and use. Are you planning on staying at 1080p or are you planning on sooner or later moving to 1440p or a super-ultra wide monitor etc. That'll make a difference. No point in a 2060 then, you'll only end up getting the same fps you...
For 1920x1080.....and RTX 2060 or an RX5700 will play pretty much every game on ultra at 60 fps.

If you want more FPS...you could go up with the GPU. Your CPU could handle more than a 2060 or RX5700....but if you are only shooting for 60 fps on ultra at 1080p.....the 2060 or 5700 should do fine.

sshah1603

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
For 1920x1080.....and RTX 2060 or an RX5700 will play pretty much every game on ultra at 60 fps.

If you want more FPS...you could go up with the GPU. Your CPU could handle more than a 2060 or RX5700....but if you are only shooting for 60 fps on ultra at 1080p.....the 2060 or 5700 should do fine.
Thats great, thanks for responding. Now ive been searching them up but all of them are out of stock or exceeding the price. How much do you think I should buy one of them for? and when do you think they will restock?

Thats great, thanks for responding. Now ive been searching them up but all of them are out of stock or exceeding the price. How much do you think I should buy one of them for? and when do you think they will restock?
From what I have been seeing regarding GPUs.....they are hard to find now and they are pricey. If you google around you probably can find more information about the current situation regarding lack of GPUs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If turning the detail from low to ultra in the games you play results in a very sizable drop in fps, a gpu upgrade is warranted. If fps barely changes at all, then your gpu is not the issue, the cpu cannot put out enough fps to saturate the gpu.

So if all you play is CSGO, LoL, skyrim, minecraft etc, that really isn't taxing on a gpu like a 1060 at all, then you don't need an upgrade. If you are playing Tom Clancy games or CoD on low because you have to, then you need help.

2 things to consider. Budget and use. Are you planning on staying at 1080p or are you planning on sooner or later moving to 1440p or a super-ultra wide monitor etc. That'll make a difference. No point in a 2060 then, you'll only end up getting the same fps you get now. Or worse.

Which brings you to budget. Good luck there, now is the absolute worst time to try and buy a gpu except directly from the vendor. Amazon, newegg, best buy, all of them have vastly jumped up the prices across the board. A $850 3080 cheapest price retail is a few $ short of $1600. 3060ti for $1200 on eBay, New. Welcome to AcmeScalperGetRichCuzYouAreGullibleAndDesperate.com.

I'd wait. Your gpu isn't dead, it still works. These funky prices will drop off sooner or later, competition will make it happen when ppl start refusing to buy at outrageous prices.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As we mentioned before NVIDIA recently changed one SKU on its roadmap called RTX 3060 6GB. This model is now known as RTX 3050 Ti and the Lenovo listing appears to list such a graphics card.
https://videocardz.com/newz/lenovo-confirms-geforce-rtx-3050-ti-6gb-rtx-3050-4gb-and-rtx-3060-12gb

My guess since the 3060ti is just behind a 2080ti in performance (3070 butts heads), the 3050ti will be closer to a 2070 Super and the 3060 closer to a 2080 Super. At a fraction of the cost (msrp) of the predecessors. For 1080p that's plenty, as even a 2070 Super can handle anything 1080p.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It'll be good at mining. It's value is pretty low for that though, it's a lot more work to get a good bank of those going vrs the stronger cards. You'd need closer to 10x 3050ti to equal the output of 2-3x 3080's, so the major miners won't even bother. Triple the amount of equipment and you spend about the same amount of money invested for a slower return.