What GPU should I get tomorrow?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I have come down to the conclusion that my GPU may be faulty and I'm replacing it. I'm willing to spend $450 CAD and am leaning toward a ATI XFX 5870 1GB

Should I stick with ati or go Nvidia " I know this is a hot topic, lets keep it sensible and most efficient for higher end gaming needs such as crysis, metro 2033, and battlefield, and Modern warfare 2"

My PSu is 650 watts corsair and the rest of my specs are in my sig.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
See people have a good thing to say with XFX so I think it would be a good way to go. I hope my old card I'm replacing is actually faulty.

I think that the 5870 XFX would be my choice and hope it works :heink:

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Yes, its 9 days old, but I don't want to wait 3+ weeks to RMA by mail and the store I buy from for the first and last time is really piky and have a 14 day return policy and I don't feel like paying 5% restocking fees.

Did you wipe out all your previous drivers prior to installing that new card?

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
No. But it always did that and even with the other card, I just cant seem to catch a break. I'm going to re install windows 7 x64 and install a fresh 10.6 catalyst and see if that does the trick....

My other thread is just as stumped....

Hmmm.

I keep trying and trying and I still will but if I can't get it running I might just take it in and get a computer tech to take a look at it.

Maybe my mobo bios?

I dont know...

Well if you want to do it right you need to remove any previous drivers using the Catalyst Install manager that is located in the "add-remove programs" section.

Then you run driver-sweeper to make sure all ATI/CCC related files have been removed. Then you re-boot and run driver-sweeper again just to make sure that you have deleted everything. Shut down the PC, install new card, boot and install new drivers and you are done.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

I think all my software is royally F'ed

I'm going to re-do the whole thing that way its fresh...

I think its just the games I have are from S*** Sources...

My cpu appears to run better now. it actually idols.

I'm going to buy a game and a mouse than report back if my issues are resolved.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Good Idea... I'll benchmark it again once I get it back from the shop...

Lets hope it's working how I was expecting it too in the first place.

I'll make a new thread and hopefully I get some results to compare with.

Thanks again everybody

Such a great forum, very helpful...