Question What GPU should I get.

Oct 23, 2020
I have a Lenovo Idea Center with intel core i5 with 8gb ram and 1tb hard drive. I wanted to upgrade the graphics card but found that my pc has a max of 180 watts. I don't know if I can even get a graphics card since most of them recommend 300 w psc although I don't know what w psc means. I thought that someone with experience may be able to help me here. I would like the graphics card if there is one that works with less than 180 volts to be better than then integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630 that it comes with since if it's not it would be a waste of money. Please help me with the situation of people of the internet.

I believe I found your PC online; it doesn't look like your power supply (also refered to as a PSU) is powerful enough to support a graphics card that'll make a meaningful performance improvement over your integrated graphics.

A Nvidia GTX 1650 or something similar would be closest to your needs because it uses only 75 watts and doesn't require any power from PSU connectors (it gets all 75 watts from the x16 PCIe slot that you plug it into). However, there is no guarantee that your PSU will be able to handle the power draw of both your CPU (which has a TDP of 65 watts) and a 1650.

Oct 23, 2020
I believe I found your PC online; it doesn't look like your power supply (also refered to as a PSU) is powerful enough to support a graphics card that'll make a meaningful performance improvement over your integrated graphics.

A Nvidia GTX 1650 or something similar would be closest to your needs because it uses only 75 watts and doesn't require any power from PSU connectors (it gets all 75 watts from the x16 PCIe slot that you plug it into). However, there is no guarantee that your PSU will be able to handle the power draw of both your CPU (which has a TDP of 65 watts) and a 1650.
I have heard of graphics cards that use about 30 watts do you think their is one that uses that many watts and works better than the integrated intel graphics

I have heard of graphics cards that use about 30 watts do you think their is one that uses that many watts and works better than the integrated intel graphics

The 30 watt ones that you are referring to are mostly designed for people with multiple monitors or whose integrated graphics are broken etc. They are not designed for gaming and have very little improvement in gaming performance.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
180 watts is not likely to be enough to support a dedicated graphics card that is usable for gaming. You could MAYBE get away with a GT 1030, because that is only 30W. It would be better than UHD 630 graphics, but you'd still have to keep the settings really low.

Here are some of the results you can expect to see with an i5 8400 and gt 1030

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i5+8400+gt+1030

They're pretty bad.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020
180 watts is not likely to be enough to support a dedicated graphics card that is usable for gaming. You could MAYBE get away with a GT 1030, because that is only 30W. It would be better than UHD 630 graphics, but you'd still have to keep the settings really low.

They're pretty bad.

Tbh, I looked at the fortnite video and it seems a lot better than already integrated graphics that my pc has. PLUS the video didnt show much lag. I get really bad lag (like getting 30-0 frames per second)when I play public matches at the lowest settings on fortnite. But I dont know if this because of the 8gb ram. If you could also answer me that question(if I get lag because of the 8gb or because of the bad integrated graphics.) None the less the GeForce Gt 1030 looks good/better than the integrated graphics which is mainly what I'm looking for. THX

Oct 23, 2020
Tbh, I looked at the fortnite video and it seems a lot better than already integrated graphics that my pc has. PLUS the video didnt show much lag. I get really bad lag (like getting 30-0 frames per second)when I play public matches at the lowest settings on fortnite. But I dont know if this because of the 8gb ram. If you could also answer me that question(if I get lag because of the 8gb or because of the bad integrated graphics.) None the less the GeForce Gt 1030 looks good/better than the integrated graphics which is mainly what I'm looking for. THX

They're pretty bad.
I ended up getting the 1030 gt but now I'm worried that it's too much for the PSU. Do yall know anything about if it's going to be fine or what I should do to minimize the number of watts use or what I have to do?

TRENDING THREADS