[SOLVED] What GPU should I go for with an i5 9600 for low resolution? (1440x900)

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Hey!

I'd like to get a few opinions, I'm about to buy a GPU, but no clue what to get that'd be beneficial for this resolution?
I was thinking about the 1070Ti, but I'm worried for the bottleneck potential.
The full specs are:
i5 9600
2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666Mhz
ASRock H370M Pro4
1TB WD Green
Seasonic Prime Gold 650W
and I have an ASUS 960 DCUII 2GB currently in the system.
I'm not planning on buying a monitor, since it'd have no benefit for me.
I simply don't feel like playing at a higher resolution, nor do I have a need for a higher refresh rate(75hz is plenty for me).
Please tell me a few suggestions, that wouldn't mean a huge bottleneck(or any at all), for the maximum resolution of 1440x900!
I'm willing to use resolution scale or whatever it's called if that's necessary to sort out the bottleneck for example in BF V, if that'd be the case.

Thanks in advance for every answer!

Have a nice day!

Solution
Yes, its better than a 1660Ti. 1660Ti's performance hangs around the original 1070.

Regarding your monitor, getting a new card can potentially change what you're used to. Analog DVI doesn't exist anymore on newer cards and DVI-D is also scarce these days. If a modern GPU has DVI it'll be DVI-D only. What this means is you'll probably need active adapters to convert from Hdmi/DP and 75Hz may not be possible anymore.

See here and enter your output/input types and see what you'll be dealing with.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Rough estimate, 9600 should be able to handle 100~120fps at stock speeds in BF5 + multiplayer and not max out.

75fps should be no dramas for your cpu. Keeping fps around there you have options. Either use DSR as you said to give you higher resolutions ingame, use the game's own res scaling, increase antialiasing or cap fps to 75 with an fps limiter program if game doesn't have one. Not sure if BF5 has an fps limiter.

I'm not aware of any benchmarks below 1080p so it's difficult to gauge how much more fps 900p would give but see graphics cards benchmarked in BF5 @ 1080p ultra settings.

If you intend to increase details, a 1070Ti level performance would be overly suitable but as games advance in future that'll probably change. For the now, an 1060 would be adequate for 75fps in 900p. A 1660Ti (comparable to an 1070) is also decent for the price.

Last edited:

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
I'm only concerned about the resolution, see, I'v checked a few videos of BF V multiplayer with the K version of the processor, but it wasn't overclocked, so mine would bring the same results.
It was about 80-90 percent usage at 1080p, so playing the game at 1440x900, which is a lot lower, I do think it'd give some type of a bottleneck with a 1070 Ti.

L
I'm only concerned about the resolution, see, I'v checked a few videos of BF V multiplayer with the K version of the processor, but it wasn't overclocked, so mine would bring the same results.
It was about 80-90 percent usage at 1080p, so playing the game at 1440x900, which is a lot lower, I do think it'd give some type of a bottleneck with a 1070 Ti.
Lowering the resolution usually has no/little direct impact on the cpu. However it significantly reduces the gpu workload, therefore the gpu will try to push higher FPS. Higher FPS put higher workload on the cpu. You won’t get less FPS but you might not be able to fully utilise the gpu’s potential.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

1660Ti, not too little not too much.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
The K version boosts to 4300Mhz if it isn't overclocked, so does mine.
That's why I meant it's the "same".
I have an old LG L192WS, connected by a VGA/DVI cable.
I assume I'll have to get a VGA to HDMI cable as well, to be able to use it, but that's ok.
I can get a 1070Ti for a LOT cheaper here and it has the same(if not better)performance as a 1660Ti.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, its better than a 1660Ti. 1660Ti's performance hangs around the original 1070.

Regarding your monitor, getting a new card can potentially change what you're used to. Analog DVI doesn't exist anymore on newer cards and DVI-D is also scarce these days. If a modern GPU has DVI it'll be DVI-D only. What this means is you'll probably need active adapters to convert from Hdmi/DP and 75Hz may not be possible anymore.

See here and enter your output/input types and see what you'll be dealing with.

Solution