News What GPU to Buy if You Can't Afford Nvidia's Ada or Wait for AMD's RNDA3

Co BIY

Splendid
What the death of Moore's law means for consumers is that the new product may not be much better than the old product. This is a large change in the way the PC market works.

But it is the way most of the world's economy works and shouldn't be that hard to get used to.

colossusrage

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
Simple.

A PS5 or X Box Series X

Both of those consoles are running modern AAA titles at 4K120 and cost 1/3 what a GPU costs that may or may not be able to do 4K120.
What reality are you living in? There's a handful of AAA titles that can do 120fps on consoles and I'm certain none of them reach 4K resolution.

Giroro

Splendid
Simple.

A PS5 or X Box Series X

Both of those consoles are running modern AAA titles at 4K120 and cost 1/3 what a GPU costs that may or may not be able to do 4K120.
Neither one of those consoles can actually run any real game at anywhere close to 4k120.
Not that it matters, because I would argue that neither console actually has any "modern AAA titles" yet. At least not anything that wasn't a buggy, artless, macro-transaction subscription nightmare.

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Neither one of those consoles can actually run any real game at anywhere close to 4k120.
Not that it matters, because I would argue that neither console actually has any "modern AAA titles" yet. At least not anything that wasn't a buggy, artless, macro-transaction subscription nightmare.

Demon Souls looks amazing at 4K120 on the PS5. I think you have to turn on Performance Mode for 120 to be available, otherwise it only shows 60 in Fidelity. The image quality looks the same, but the smoothness was a huge leap forward.

KevBacon

Reputable
Feb 12, 2019
Simple.

A PS5 or X Box Series X

They claim to be up to 4K120, which we all know is only achieved on the boot screen.

2+2

Prominent
May 11, 2022
Simple.

A PS5 or X Box Series X

Exactly what I did last Christmas.
Then, this spring I got a laptop with a 3070 for $1200.
I am in no hurry to get a $2500 desktop that uses 4 times the power.
I can wait till Intel's 13 gen CPU and AMD's next GPU,
especially when the coming recession is going to make things cheaper.

2+2

Prominent
May 11, 2022
The Fed is raising rates to Slow the economy, to reduce inflation.
They will make our current technical recession more of a reality.
AMD and Nvidia stocks are getting hammered because
PC sales are way down and are going lower
and enterprise sales are going down.
Just look at the sales on Newegg, PCs are already being discounted.
AMD and Nvidia will after the initial release of their next gens get in a discount war.
Wait for it, if you care to save money.

Reactions: Tom Sunday

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Simple.

A PS5 or X Box Series X
not so simple, when like me, between them, there might be 5 games i would want to play, maybe. i cant justify the cost of either when there are just not enough games i would play on them. where my comp, there are easily 10+ games i would play. even some games i havent played all that much yet.

Sep 24, 2022
Why phrase the title in such a fashion? One may simply not want to pay such a stupid price. We've managed to hang in there for two years without an upgrade. I think most people realize the futility in this consumer mindset that you need the latest gadget. The pandemic has shown us we can do just fine with our two or three year old cards .

Nvidia's CEO is a fool if he thinks consumers are that gullible.

Barefoot

Distinguished
May 30, 2013
The AMD RX 6600 and RTX 2060 remain the best deals in existing GPUs. But if you can wait until Black Friday, you may see the best graphics card deals in years.

What GPU to Buy if You Can't Afford Nvidia's Ada or Wait for AMD's RNDA3 : Read more
You know, and I know Nvidia is playing games with us, hoping we don't catch on! First of all the CEO blamed the higher prices on "cost of build goods". That's BS! When you find the specs on each build (4080,4080 and 4090) and examine the Cuda core counts, the GPU core models, there's too much wiggle room (think where they go next for like 4099ti and such) to be so far above the 16gig 4080, but the OTHER 4080 has 12gig and a different core build!

Next, and this should tick off us consumers, Nvidia is purposely keeping the 30 series prices high to manipulate us into buying the "closeouts" at current prices to recoup some of their loses from losing the cryptomining business, and the highly inflated prices they were able to charge during the pandemic lockdowns! In short, they want their cake and eat it too! The TRUTH is Nvidia has thousands of overstock on 30 series graphics cards, but he's holding stock back instead of dropping the prices and selling them off! This should irritate buyers into going to AMD and leaving Nvidia holding the bag for their evil deeds!

We know they're trying to control the market in a destructive manner, because EVGA dropped the entire graphics card lines! (Hint: EVGA stands for what? Extended Video Graphics Array!!) So to lose EVGA and try to shrug it off as nothing, should tell us all we need to know!

Is the 40 series going to be good? Yes! But is it worth paying them significantly higher profits for? Sorry Nvidia! I'm dropping YOU, just like EVGA! Bu-BYE!