[SOLVED] what gpu to get for my system?

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

some may know that i am still using the gtx 480 which uses alot of power and very old too.

question is can anyone suggest a good gpu that uses less power and quite updated too please?

my current system is:

Mainboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4
Processor: Intel i5 4570S 2.90GHz
Memory: Kingston Hyper Beast 16GB PC3-12800
GPU 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 480
Power: Corsair CX600 Modular
Case: typhoo pro
Hard Disk: Seagate 1TB
ssd: 256gb
hard disk: 2tb

but will be upgrading to this soon:

Mainboard: ASRock b560 pro 4
Processor: Intel i5 11400
Memory: 16gb ddr4
GPU 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 480
Power: Corsair CX600 Modular
Case: phanteks enthoo pro m
Hard Disk: Seagate 1TB
ssd: 256gb
hard disk: 2tb

all il be doing is playing on 1 facebook game but that doesnt touch my gpu, only uses my cpu. i also play on an old game called warlords battlecry 3 which uses my gpu. when i am on not that old game, gpu stays at 48 when not in use but when i go on that old game the gpu goes up to 56 -60.

many thanks

Solution
Depends on your plans. If you want to do light gaming such as KSP on lowest graphics, get yourself a GeForce GT 710. They consume only a couple watts and only cost around $70, though they're usually $40 but the whole cryptomining thing is inflating the value of GPUs. For a little more power, look at a GT 1050.
If all you're going to be doing is playing facebook games then stick with your 480. Right now NO GPU's are easily accessible on the market at MSRP because of numerous issues. Just stick with what you have for now and upgrade in like a year.

If anything you can also take out your GPU since intel CPU's have integrated graphics.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If that is all you are doing, perhaps you should consider taking apart the GPU for a good clean and repaste?
As you are surely aware the GPU market is a mess and you will well overpay for anything right now. Probably best to see if you can improve cooling on the current one, perhaps case air flow, and soldier through till things straighten out some.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
If all you're going to be doing is playing facebook games then stick with your 480. Right now NO GPU's are easily accessible on the market at MSRP because of numerous issues. Just stick with what you have for now and upgrade in like a year.

If anything you can also take out your GPU since intel CPU's have integrated graphics.
thanks for reply

i have thought about taking the gpu out and use the integrated one but it can stress out the cpu cant it? i have read that somewhere.

If that is all you are doing, perhaps you should consider taking apart the GPU for a good clean and repaste?
As you are surely aware the GPU market is a mess and you will well overpay for anything right now. Probably best to see if you can improve cooling on the current one, perhaps case air flow, and soldier through till things straighten out some.
i have already repasted it, i thought the temp on the gpu is quite good, is it not that great?

yeah ive heard about the gpu market, shame really as everyone is always wanting gpus.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I don't think your load temps are high. Idle, yes, but that could be other forces at work. I find most often that my GPU will idle at whatever the case temps are, sometimes a bit higher if I am doing something semi intensive and the fan curve hasn't kicked on. I have started using the "quiet" mode for the GPU fan so it doesn't drone all day while working from home.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I don't think your load temps are high. Idle, yes, but that could be other forces at work. I find most often that my GPU will idle at whatever the case temps are, sometimes a bit higher if I am doing something semi intensive and the fan curve hasn't kicked on. I have started using the "quiet" mode for the GPU fan so it doesn't drone all day while working from home.
right now its at 47 with 41 percent fan.

my case temp is 28

Stress out a 10400f on facebook games? You'll be fine.
thank you, will take gpu out when i get teh cpu.

OP has i5-11400 which includes discrete graphics.(not 11400f which has no graphics)
GTX480 is more capable, but not massively so.

Using integrated graphics will certainly use less power, and it is an easy thing to try.
Considering the low demand for fast action, I think the integrated graphics would run just fine.

There should be no concern about any cpu impact on a 11400, it is a very competent processor.
What is the source of the assertion that integrated graphics stresses the cpu?

Not to worry about heat.
Your parts generate minimal heat.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
OP has i5-11400 which includes discrete graphics.(not 11400f which has no graphics)

Using integrated graphics will certainly use less power, and it is an easy thing to try.
Considering the low demand for fast action, I think the integrated graphics would run just fine.

There should be no concern about any cpu impact on a 11400, it is a very competent processor.

Not to worry about heat.
i was thinking about using the onboard gpu on my 4570s cpu but not sure if my cpu can take it. i havent got the 11400 yet, i will be soon though.
will the 4570s be ok for onboard?

i got it form here and another website but cant find it now

https://www.sevenforums.com/hardwar...part from that your,the life of your computer.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Not to worry about heat.

Geo- that's the upgrade to path, not currently owned.

i was thinking about using the onboard gpu on my 4570s cpu but not sure if my cpu can take it. i havent got the 11400 yet, i will be soon though.
will the 4570s be ok for onboard?

i got it form here and another website but cant find it now

https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/311880-does-using-integrated-graphics-stresses-cpu.html#:~:text=Yes, apart from that your,the life of your computer.
4570S is a low power variant of the 4570.
The performance is not stellar, and the integrate graphics is not nearly as capable as your GTX480 which I would continue to use.
That said, there is no reason to not try using integrated graphics.
It can't hurt anything.

On the stressing part, I would not worry.
Damage to a processor comes from running it at very high voltages.
Your 4570S is not capable of overclocking so you will not be able to use anything except default voltages.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
4570S is a low power variant of the 4570.
The performance is not stellar, and the integrate graphics is not nearly as capable as your GTX480 which I would continue to use.
That said, there is no reason to not try using integrated graphics.
It can't hurt anything.

On the stressing part, I would not worry.
Damage to a processor comes from running it at very high voltages.
Your 4570S is not capable of overclocking so you will not be able to use anything except default voltages.
ok, i am now using the onboard gpu. i changed it on bios to onboard but it took awhile before signal went to tv though.

had to press the reset button on the motherboard 3 times before there was picture. it is all working now and we have picture.

i will monitor the temps too just to be on the safe side.

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
Depends on your plans. If you want to do light gaming such as KSP on lowest graphics, get yourself a GeForce GT 710. They consume only a couple watts and only cost around $70, though they're usually $40 but the whole cryptomining thing is inflating the value of GPUs. For a little more power, look at a GT 1050.

Last edited:
Solution

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
ok guys,

bit of an update, i have already made another thread for this problem.

basically it only started once since using the onboard gpu. there was no power going to the mptherboard after that. so when i put the gtx480 back in, it magically had power going to motherboard, very strange indeed.