• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Question What gpu to upgrade to?

Ricardo_15

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
Hello all!

I have an old PC (Alienware Aurora, 9gb ddr3 ram, i7 970 cpu, windows 10). At the moment, I can't afford to buy/make a new one so I'm trying to upgrade its gpu. Currently I have an ATI Radeon 5970 (2gb). I'm just not sure what gpu to upgrade to in terms of my system's compatibility. What's the best gpu I can put in it? I am also upgrading the ram to 16gb (for $60, I think it's worth it). I'm just trying to extend the life of my pc by at least 10 more months while I save up for a new one.

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo_15

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
Hi Nemesia!

I'm not sure about the psu brand (it's whatever alienware used to use back in the day... maybe a rebranded corsair?). It's 800watts (I think).

Yeah, gpu's are insane right now :(

Hi Nemesia!

I'm not sure about the psu brand (it's whatever alienware used to use back in the day... maybe a rebranded corsair?). It's 800watts (I think).

Yeah, gpu's are insane right now :(
To know which GPU you can buy we have to know the exact model of that PSU. The sticker/info panel on the PSU itself should say the model etc.

Wattages isn't everything. The build quality of the PSU is really important :)

Ricardo_15

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
To know which GPU you can buy we have to know the exact model of that PSU. The sticker/info panel on the PSU itself should say the model etc.

Wattages isn't everything. The build quality of the PSU is really important :)
Did a little more research on my model. It seems that it's 875 watts psu made by Dell.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY