Question What gpu to upgrade to?

Ricardo_15

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
Hello all!

I have an old PC (Alienware Aurora, 9gb ddr3 ram, i7 970 cpu, windows 10). At the moment, I can't afford to buy/make a new one so I'm trying to upgrade its gpu. Currently I have an ATI Radeon 5970 (2gb). I'm just not sure what gpu to upgrade to in terms of my system's compatibility. What's the best gpu I can put in it? I am also upgrading the ram to 16gb (for $60, I think it's worth it). I'm just trying to extend the life of my pc by at least 10 more months while I save up for a new one.

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo_15

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
Hi Nemesia!

I'm not sure about the psu brand (it's whatever alienware used to use back in the day... maybe a rebranded corsair?). It's 800watts (I think).

Yeah, gpu's are insane right now :(

Hi Nemesia!

I'm not sure about the psu brand (it's whatever alienware used to use back in the day... maybe a rebranded corsair?). It's 800watts (I think).

Yeah, gpu's are insane right now :(

To know which GPU you can buy we have to know the exact model of that PSU. The sticker/info panel on the PSU itself should say the model etc.

Wattages isn't everything. The build quality of the PSU is really important :)

Ricardo_15

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
To know which GPU you can buy we have to know the exact model of that PSU. The sticker/info panel on the PSU itself should say the model etc.

Wattages isn't everything. The build quality of the PSU is really important :)
Did a little more research on my model. It seems that it's 875 watts psu made by Dell.

Last edited: