[SOLVED] What GPU would be the best for this PC?

Sep 30, 2020
This is the backup PC I will use just in case my current one breaks which is very unlikely. but I was just curious about a few things, alright so here is the model it is

HP 8000 Elite SFF (small form factor)
specs:
Core 2 Duo e8400
4gb 531mhz RAM
GT 640
250GB harddrive
230watt PSU

I don't plan on gaming on it if my current pc breaks because I know it won't be able to do that, but could you guys just tell me the best parts that would go with it?

Solution
The issue with systems this old is to avoid throwing your money away on dead-end upgrades. For instance, your machine likely uses DDR2. The next generation newer from yours started DDR3. All modern PCs are using DDR4 (soon to be DDR5) so buying RAM for this system will not be able to be carried over to a newer system, and while another 4GB could slightly improve performance, it's not going to make this thing a race car. Also your mobo probably only has 2 RAM slots, and with 4GB, that's probably made up of 2 sticks.

Also in your situation (SFF HP) there's a fair number of compatibility restrictions.

A SSD is about the only upgrade I'd suggest. An SSD can be transferred into a different system when this one gets retired. But...
Sep 30, 2020
Yeah sorry, I am really new to PC and stuff but really interested and curious. I should have just asked what parts compatible with it would make it run smoother. and do you have any like settings i should change to make it run smoother?

The issue with systems this old is to avoid throwing your money away on dead-end upgrades. For instance, your machine likely uses DDR2. The next generation newer from yours started DDR3. All modern PCs are using DDR4 (soon to be DDR5) so buying RAM for this system will not be able to be carried over to a newer system, and while another 4GB could slightly improve performance, it's not going to make this thing a race car. Also your mobo probably only has 2 RAM slots, and with 4GB, that's probably made up of 2 sticks.

Also in your situation (SFF HP) there's a fair number of compatibility restrictions.

A SSD is about the only upgrade I'd suggest. An SSD can be transferred into a different system when this one gets retired. But if your main system doesn't have an SSD yet, I'd direct funds toward that.

logainofhades

Titan

A SSD is about the only upgrade I'd suggest. An SSD can be transferred into a different system when this one gets retired. But if your main system doesn't have an SSD yet, I'd direct funds toward that.

Depends on motherboard model. Some core 2 chipsets used ddr3, which it appears this SFF used.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...all-form-factor-pc/4065894/document/c01926347

OP, a ram upgrade, and a cheap SSD is the limit to what I would do, with that machine.

Solution