[SOLVED] What GPUs are compatible with HP Z800 workstation?

May 29, 2020
I was gifted a 2012 HP Z800 Workstation with dual Xeon e5640 CPUs, 24 Gigs ram and 1000 watt PSU. It came with no HDD or GPU. I ordered an ASUS 1030 but had to RMA it as it's not compatible, it won't even fit in the PCIe2 x16 slot.

How do I find what GPUs will fit and more importantly run in my HP Z800?

I'm into moderate gaming, so I don't need high performance. Just something that will work and won't break the bank. My budget is about $200 Canadian for the graphics card.

Solution
A 1030 should fit in any PCIe x 16 slot, those are all standard, you probably did not release the clip at the end or something else was blocking it.

For an older system stick with cards from a few generations ago, like a 9xx series. A 970 should work and would be about $60-80 used.
A 1030 should fit in any PCIe x 16 slot, those are all standard, you probably did not release the clip at the end or something else was blocking it.

For an older system stick with cards from a few generations ago, like a 9xx series. A 970 should work and would be about $60-80 used.

Solution
May 29, 2020

As I was searching for a GPU that would fit the PCIe slot my PC has I realized they all do. It was a bonehead moment, I forget to remove the protective cover on the GPU connector tab. The 1030 slotted right in now I just have to wait for my HDD to arrive in a couple of days and install Windows and see how she runs.

thanks.