What GPU's will my motherboard take?

liamrox3

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
Hi there,

I've asked on here before a question about what graphics card my motherboard would take, but I actually had the wrong motherboard listed. My motherboard is an Intel DQ965GF and I was wondering which low-medium end graphics cards it would take.

Thanks

Solution
Your Intel DQ965GF motherboard have one PCI Express 1.0a lane to plug a graphics card into.

PCI-E 1.0a is pretty old. You can use any graphics card that uses PCI-E 1.0 (though they're pretty old).
But most PCI-E 2.1 cards are backwards compatible with 1.0, PCI-E 2.1 is outdated and the graphics cards are too, but they're comparable with low/medium graphics cards.

I had a AMD Radeon HD 6850 which used PCI-E 2.1, and it could run Battlefield 3 on high settings.

To make your motherboard support PCI-E 2.1 it might need a bios update which could be tricky to install.

But nowadays med/low graphics cards might be overkill to such an old processor. Unless you have one of the quad-cores which my friend can confirm works well in gaming.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

You can install a Radeon HD 7750 for a descent gaming and good media experience ;)........

NiCoM

Honorable
Your Intel DQ965GF motherboard have one PCI Express 1.0a lane to plug a graphics card into.

PCI-E 1.0a is pretty old. You can use any graphics card that uses PCI-E 1.0 (though they're pretty old).
But most PCI-E 2.1 cards are backwards compatible with 1.0, PCI-E 2.1 is outdated and the graphics cards are too, but they're comparable with low/medium graphics cards.

I had a AMD Radeon HD 6850 which used PCI-E 2.1, and it could run Battlefield 3 on high settings.

To make your motherboard support PCI-E 2.1 it might need a bios update which could be tricky to install.

But nowadays med/low graphics cards might be overkill to such an old processor. Unless you have one of the quad-cores which my friend can confirm works well in gaming.

Solution
Sep 17, 2019

I've got the same motherboard. would an rx 470 work ??????