• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

[SOLVED] What graphic card should I buy?

Jan 27, 2020
Hi guys,

So there's this kinda oldy desktop that I'm trying to revive; Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 2.70 GHz, p5kpl-am in/roem/si motherboard (Intel chipset P35/g33/g31), that has intel g33/g31 express chipset family as graphic card. The GPU is what pisses me off. When I try to open something that requests a bit more graphic attention, the pc always finds new ways of prompting error messages saying that it just can't handle what I am asking for.
I don't know how this forum works, and probably I'm being too rude asking directly (tell me if so), but what compatible GPU do you guys recommend? I am seriously thinking of changing the gpu (obvious reasons) but I don't have a clue what should I look for.
Thanks for your attention.

Nemesia

Estimable
Yeah. Don't try to upgrade that system.

This is like a 11 years old CPU. This need to be replaced entirely. Even if you buy a good GPU your Power Supply probably won't be enough and the bottleneck from your CPU will be really bad.

Nemesia

Estimable

This is like a 11 years old CPU. This need to be replaced entirely. Even if you buy a good GPU your Power Supply probably won't be enough and the bottleneck from your CPU will be really bad.

Something that old, try and find a used GTX 750ti. They are low power and are fairly cheap nowadays.

As stated above don't put alot of money into anything though. You should perhaps think about building a whole new system, which right now can be done quite cheap.

Jan 27, 2020
Something that old, try and find a used GTX 750ti. They are low power and are fairly cheap nowadays.

As stated above don't put alot of money into anything though. You should perhaps think about building a whole new system, which right now can be done quite cheap.
Well... 600 bucks isn't properly quite cheap...

Jan 27, 2020

I guess you're right...

You can build a PC for less then 600 bucks nowadays.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/msJwk6

The CPU was not on pcpartspicker but its the Ryzen 1600 AF which is 85USD
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-YD1600BBAFBOX/dp/B07XTQZJ28

Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital RE4 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($31.50 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB510L ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $213.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-27 15:19 EST-0500

Thats about 300 for everything but the GPU and you can find plenty of used GPUs for under 100 USD such as the GTX 960/970 and even 980s, RX470/480 and theres even some newer RX580s under 100.

You could even build it cheaper if you buy a used Ryzen 1500 which are going for about 50 USD and a used motherboard and RAM. You don't even need to buy a copy of Windows since you can use it pretty much without and restrictions unactivated and then down the line find a cheap OEM key for sale someplace.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS