what graphic card will work with my motherboard ?

olo_emes

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
hi all,
actually firend of mine asked me to post this here, since I wasn't sure my answer.

his motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.pl/products/page/mb/ga-8i945p-g/specs/

question1: will it work with newer (than his motherboard - it is nealry 6 years old) graphic cards (for ex. gtx 9800) ?
question2: will it work with current newest generation cards ?
question3: what will be the best possible card, that he can buy, to work with his motherboard (he will look for used ones) ?

thanks in advance

Solution

Hello olo_emes,

Thanks for the details. Your specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 930, which has two cores and 2 threads (released Q1 2006)
RAM: 1GB (512MB x 2 RAMs operating at 266 MHz on dual channel memory slots)

First of all both the CPU and RAM are weak and old. Even if install a top of the line graphics card available currently in the market or even a card from 2012, both the CPU and RAM won't be able to keep up with the card's performance. Hence you won't be able to see the full potential of the graphics card.

Even if you install some graphics card that are from the same era as CPU and RAM, drivers would be hard to find for it to operate on Windows 7 / 8. And also you will hardly see those cards...

yeskay

Distinguished

Can u provide more details?

What CPU? How much RAM? If not sure, tell your friend to download this: CPU-Z

Extract the zip file and run the cpu-z exe. This will give all info about your PC like CPU, RAM, also Motherboard BIOS version etc.

Let me know this, I'll recommend the right graphics card for your friend's PC.

yeskay

Distinguished

Hello olo_emes,

Thanks for the details. Your specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 930, which has two cores and 2 threads (released Q1 2006)
RAM: 1GB (512MB x 2 RAMs operating at 266 MHz on dual channel memory slots)

First of all both the CPU and RAM are weak and old. Even if install a top of the line graphics card available currently in the market or even a card from 2012, both the CPU and RAM won't be able to keep up with the card's performance. Hence you won't be able to see the full potential of the graphics card.

Even if you install some graphics card that are from the same era as CPU and RAM, drivers would be hard to find for it to operate on Windows 7 / 8. And also you will hardly see those cards selling these days.

So my honest suggestion would be to upgrade to current gen CPU, RAM and GPU. Just let me know what your friend thinks. If he wish to upgrade, just tell me his budget. I'll get you a nice config that fits his budget.

Cheers!

Solution