Question What Graphics Card Should I Get? (Budget, $120 Max)

Feb 23, 2019
Hi, I have a Dell Optiplex 990 with 4 GB ram and an I7 2600 and was wondering what graphics I should get? I want to play CS:GO and League of Legends at a decent FPS on medium settings, and let me know if it can run Fortnite

TStahler

Distinguished
At a max price of $120, I would suggest an AMD RX 560 for $119.99. It has 4GB of VRAM which will serve you much better than the closest Nvidia competition GT 1030 which only has 2GB of VRAM. The GTX 1050 at $129.99 is not only above your price point but it is still only 2GB of VRAM and gets outperformed by the RX 560. If you can afford to spend just a little bit more than the $120, You could get the faster RX 570 for $129.99 which is a nice step up above the RX 560. Either the RX 560 or the RX 570 will be able to perform quite well at Medium or High Settings at solid frame rates for the titles you have listed. Prices listed here were found on the Micro Center website but I am also sure that if you don't live near a Micro Center location that Newegg offers comparable pricing as well.

Reactions: King4bood
Feb 23, 2019
At a max price of $120, I would suggest an AMD RX 560 for $119.99. It has 4GB of VRAM which will serve you much better than the closest Nvidia competition GT 1030 which only has 2GB of VRAM. The GTX 1050 at $129.99 is not only above your price point but it is still only 2GB of VRAM and gets outperformed by the RX 560. If you can afford to spend just a little bit more than the $120, You could get the faster RX 570 for $129.99 which is a nice step up above the RX 560. Either the RX 560 or the RX 570 will be able to perform quite well at Medium or High Settings at solid frame rates for the titles you have listed. Prices listed here were found on the Micro Center website but I am also sure that if you don't live near a Micro Center location that Newegg offers comparable pricing as well.
Hey there, Thank you for your help just wanted to ask you if you could get one from this website https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/, would really appreciate it thanks.

TStahler

Distinguished
I just did a quick search and multiple models of both Graphics Cards seem to show up on site you have listed. All models of the same Grapjics Card should perform within 1-2% of each other so I usually suggest just go with the cheapest model with the best warranty and cooling solution that you can afford.Just make sure whichever model you get is a 4GB model and not a 2GB model. Models with more than one fan usually run quieter if that is a concern for you. Otherwise, Just put "RX 560" or "RX 570" in the search box, place in order by lowest to highest price and working your way up the price list, pick whichever model and brand fits your needs best. Best Wishes.

Reactions: King4bood
I agree in general that an RX 560 or RX 570 might offer the best value around this price range if their system is compatible with one, but you also need to consider the power supply necessary to run them. There are versions of the RX 560 that can run without an external power cable, but the RX 570 would likely require a better PSU than a Dell Optiplex typically provides. What kind of power supply does the system have?

Also, if it's in a small form factor case (a thin one), you would need a half-height graphics card to fit in there, which you won't find with most RX 560s or any RX 570s. Optiplex 990s come in a vaiety of shapes. What shape is the computer's case, compared to the one's shown in the image on this page?

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln285254/dell-optiplex-990-system-guide?lang=en

Also, the closest competition to the RX 560 in terms of performance is actually the GTX 1050. The GT 1030 performs more similar to an RX 550, well behind those other two. There are two versions of the RX 560 though, a 1024 core version that on average performs fairly similar to a GTX 1050, and another 896 core version that performs about 10% behind in most games. And the RX 570 actually performs most comparable to a GTX 1060 3GB, far above the performance level of a 560, 1050 or even 1050 Ti, but again, requiring a decent power supply and a standard size case that can fit it.

Edit: And what is your budget in your local currency? I notice pricing of graphics cards at that site might not directly follow pricing in USD going by the exchange rate alone.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
I just did a quick search and multiple models of both Graphics Cards seem to show up on site you have listed. All models of the same Grapjics Card should perform within 1-2% of each other so I usually suggest just go with the cheapest model with the best warranty and cooling solution that you can afford.Just make sure whichever model you get is a 4GB model and not a 2GB model. Models with more than one fan usually run quieter if that is a concern for you. Otherwise, Just put "RX 560" or "RX 570" in the search box, place in order by lowest to highest price and working your way up the price list, pick whichever model and brand fits your needs best. Best Wishes.
Thank you very much