What GRAPHICS CARD should I get for my HP z220 sff workstation's?

Jul 26, 2018
Specs:
*Computer- Hewlett-Packard HP Z220 SFF Workstation
*Processor- Intel® Pentium® CPU G2020 @ 2.90GHz
*Graphics- Intel® HD Graphics (I think it is Integrated)
*Memory- 8 GB
*OS- Windows 10
*PSU- HP Elite 8300 SFF 240W DPS-240TB A Switching Power Supply
*Expansion Slots- 1 PCIe Gen3 x16 slot; 1PCIe Gen2 x4/x16 slot; 2 PCIe Gen2 x1; 1 PCI ("All slots for the z220 SFF are low profile slots" idk what that means but thats what a video on youtube said)
*Dimension (H x W x D)- 100 x 338 x 381 mm (3.95 x 13.3 x 15.0 in.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z220-Workstation-Small-Form-Factor-SFF-System-Motherboard-655840-001-/151966858302
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-I know this computer is not made for gaming, but I would love to have some fps boost for some games I play like LOL, CSGo, and even Fortnite maybe.
-I'm also aware that my PSU may not be strong enough for high quality Graphic Cards so if possible I would like a 2 separate list where one i wouldn't have to upgrade the psu and another where i have to upgrade the psu along with the graphics card.
(The PSU that I have now has a weird shape so idk how the psu upgrade would work)
-I don't really want to spend much, but my price range for a graphics card is probably around $50-$150. ( I could probably go a bit higher)

Solution
Low profile means the card is about half as high, it might still be standard length though. SFF cases don't have room for taller cards. Many videocard models come in full height and low profile models. The low profile version may cost a bit more. You have a 240W power supply in there, so a card that does not require a 6 or 8 pin pci-ex connector is your option. The 1050 Ti is the fastest card you can find that comes in models which do not require this connector.

You have a 2 core/2 thread Ivy Bridge CPU in there. You could upgrade that all the way to an i7 3770 if you need more CPU power. If you are going to stay with that dual core I'd recommend no more than a low profile GTX 1050.
There are lots of those running big GPUs here. What PSUs I have no idea.
http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/HP-Z220-SFF-Workstation/910
But the GTX1050Ti 4GB runs off of the PCIe slot, and the GTX1050 2GB will do what you want for about your price range. You will need low profile versions to fit in that case. Both are competetnt 1080P video cards, the 4GB can go a little higher.
The 4GB card would also like more RAM than 8GB.
You should look at some of the other CPUs running there also. Ther's a lot of room for improvement.

Low profile means the card is about half as high, it might still be standard length though. SFF cases don't have room for taller cards. Many videocard models come in full height and low profile models. The low profile version may cost a bit more. You have a 240W power supply in there, so a card that does not require a 6 or 8 pin pci-ex connector is your option. The 1050 Ti is the fastest card you can find that comes in models which do not require this connector.

You have a 2 core/2 thread Ivy Bridge CPU in there. You could upgrade that all the way to an i7 3770 if you need more CPU power. If you are going to stay with that dual core I'd recommend no more than a low profile GTX 1050.

Solution
Jul 26, 2018

Why would I need more Ram than 8GB for the 4GB card?

Some programs cache GPU textures in system RAM. It's usually not an issue unless there are processes running in the background. It acts like a CPU bottleneck but it's really a RAM bottleneck. My Optiplex 380 Q9505S with GTX1050Ti does this in Unigine benchmarks but not in others ( I bought that card for that computer to test for this issue). It was an old trick to run 5- 6GB RAM with a 32bit OS and a 2GB GPU even though the OS couldn't use over 3.5GB, the GPU would take the extra RAM at startup using memory adresses from the top down..

TRENDING THREADS