[SOLVED] What graphics card should i get without upgrading the PSU ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2021
so I got a new computer about a few days ago, but it only has integrated graphics. I want to get some high end games but i don't want the fuss of upgrading a psu. what should i do?

My pc is an Acer aspire XC-895
Intel Core I5-10400
Intel UHD graphics 630
180w psu (internal)
1TB storage
8gb DDR4 RAM (Max 32GB)

If u can, could you please get something on the cheap side as i dont want to dish out too much money.

Thanks

Solution
The 1030 sounds good enough for now. I want to wait for some high end games im interested in to come out before i blow out
Just to be clear, the GTX 1050 TI is over 100% faster than the GT 1030 and would require at minimum a 240watt PSU for safe operation. The GTX 1650 is at least another 30% faster than the 1050 ti, but has the same power requirements.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What resolution do you intend to game at (i.e., 1920x1080)?

You need a low-profile GPU with the low-profile bracket attached to it, in order to fit into your case.

Something like this offering will fit:

The concern is your 180w PSU. I have used similar configs (for family members) as yours with similar GPUs as this one. Do not attempt to overclock such a system...at all. Everything needs to stay at stock settings.

I would recommend you increase your memory, using a match pair of memory for dual channel use. This will help overall performance. Also, swapping the HDD for a SSD would improve system performance as well.

Jan 5, 2021
What resolution do you intend to game at (i.e., 1920x1080)?

You need a low-profile GPU with the low-profile bracket attached to it, in order to fit into your case.

Something like this offering will fit:

The concern is your 180w PSU. I have used similar configs (for family members) as yours with similar GPUs as this one. Do not attempt to overclock such a system...at all. Everything needs to stay at stock settings.

I would recommend you increase your memory, using a match pair of memory for dual channel use. This will help overall performance. Also, swapping the HDD for a SSD would improve system performance as well.
my resolution would probably be 1280×720 and also when you mean stock settings...?

well im gonna stretch here but i wanna go low if i can
so im gonna say 200 pounds
The fastest card you can run that will fit in your case and have low enough power draw for a 180watt PSU, is the low profile GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 version. There are some options at newegg UK https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/p/pl?N=101582767 601297382 600038363 600007797

The only way to run a faster card is upgrade to a 250-280watt PSU to run a low profile GTX 1650, which is currently the fastest low profile card on the market. I'm not sure how easy it would be to upgrade the PSU or whether you could just buy an SFF unit and install it without changing anything with adapters. Either way, it would break your budget unless you can stretch to £250-300.

Jan 5, 2021
The fastest card you can run that will fit in your case and have low enough power draw for a 180watt PSU, is the low profile GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 version. There are some options at newegg UK https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/p/pl?N=101582767 601297382 600038363 600007797

The only way to run a faster card is upgrade to a 250-280watt PSU to run a low profile GTX 1650, which is currently the fastest low profile card on the market. I'm not sure how easy it would be to upgrade the PSU or whether you could just buy an SFF unit and install it without changing anything with adapters. Either way, it would break your budget unless you can stretch to £250-300.
The 1030 sounds good enough for now. I want to wait for some high end games im interested in to come out before i blow out

COLGeek

Cybernaut
my resolution would probably be 1280×720 and also when you mean stock settings...?
Stock settings refers to the speed of your CPU, GPU, and memory. Making those things operate faster than the original speeds is referred to as overclocking. With this system, do none of that.

Yes, the 1050ti specs out a 300w PSU. However, it will only draw 75w from the motherboard slot. Given the limited expand-ability of this system, you should be okay with only 180w.

Your PSU will be stressed and operate near full power all the time, but it should be okay (as personally experienced with similar systems that have been running for years).

Just to be clear, the GTX 1050 TI is over 100% faster than the GT 1030 and would require at minimum a 240watt PSU for safe operation. The GTX 1650 is at least another 30% faster than the 1050 ti, but has the same power requirements.

Reactions: LeighPing
Solution

Kevh1980

Prominent
Jan 17, 2021
out of the the three mentioned which ones would be considered low variant
I got exactly the same issue, hamstrung myself going for the XC-895 now finding it difficult to upgrade the pathetic Graphics card,

did you actually upgrade this in the end, just wondering what the end result was ?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
well i went with an evga 500w, and i know its overkill but i got it really low on a deal and if i were to get a bigger case it would come in handy for a better gpu
Link:https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-WHITE...ocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-386397098849&psc=1

How much better of a GPU are you thinking long-term? This is a very entry-level PSU and it's really only suitable for inexpensive parts. If you're thinking of a 3060 Ti or something at some point, I'd get something higher quality.

Jan 5, 2021
How much better of a GPU are you thinking long-term? This is a very entry-level PSU and it's really only suitable for inexpensive parts. If you're thinking of a 3060 Ti or something at some point, I'd get something higher quality.
I don't really intend to use it if i were to get a bigger case, as the main reason i got it is because it was superrrrrr cheap. If i were to get a new case and a better gpu, i would just sell this one and get a new one, but the main purpose for this pc was something to do some light gaming until i have the time and money for a build, so I don't need something really good for now, just a card to get me by some decent games.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I don't really intend to use it if i were to get a bigger case, as the main reason i got it is because it was superrrrrr cheap. If i were to get a new case and a better gpu, i would just sell this one and get a new one, but the main purpose for this pc was something to do some light gaming until i have the time and money for a build, so I don't need something really good for now, just a card to get me by some decent games.

Well, the 1650 you have is about as far as I'd push this PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.