Question What Graphics Card should I get?

MarkAchilles

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Right Now in my current build my specs are 8gbs of DDR4, I5-9400f, 520w psu, ASRock Z390 pro4, and an gtx 1050 ti. I can run most games at 60-120 fps on medium to low graphics. But their are some gpu intensive games I can not play at a sustainable fps. I bought my current GPU 2years ago for about $150 and it has worked well for a pretty budget build. But for the last few months I've been meaning to buy a new gpu but I am unable to because of the current stock of new 30 series video cards. Right now im looking for a video card for about $300-$450, is it possible to buy a good card right now in the current market for that price? I personally have no idea whether I should switch to AMD or stay at Nvdia (I have no knowledge of how AMD cards even work, like how they are numbered or their specs). What card should I consider buying for my budget, or should I wait to maybe Nvdia comes back into stock or consider buy an 20series RTX.

Thanks

you can't buy a "good" card right now at any sane price unless you are extremely lucky and happen upon a local retailer that has just updated stock.
or you may have a very slight chance of happening upon an online retailer that may have a card available if you constantly prowl multiple e-stores.

some older options(GTX 1000\2000 series or AMD RX 5000 series) are available at Amazon, eBay, and other used dealers but the majority of them are 3-4x the original MSRP. and there's really no way to tell how "used" they are.

i doubt you'd find anything for anywhere near $300-450.

Reactions: Bassman999

novus111

Commendable
Feb 15, 2021
buy a 3080, they are very good. i've ordered mine 4 months ago and i haven't given up hope that i'll actually receive it before christmas! i'm looking forward to playing world of warcraft with 500fps, apparently it becomes like matrix bullet-time.
oh i'm sorry, just read the title, didn't see u have a budget. you could get a used gtx 1080ti for that price. so not really a big jump from your 1050, that's just the reality right now and for another year at least.

where do you see used GTX 1000 series cards going for that cheap?
and the 1080 Ti is actually a large jump from the 1050. but i wouldn't waste my money on one for the prices i've seen lately.

I wondered that , seeing as 1050ti's are currently selling for $250.

I'm in the UK and even a Gt1030 2gb is currently at £150!?!??!

The market is completely and utterly **, never seen anything quite as bad as this even with the last 2 big crypto mining crazes!

larsv8

Distinguished
Sadly its impossible to get a GPU at a reasonable price.

I recently built a PC for a friend and encountered this same issue. How do I get a budget card?

What I eventually did was enter the Newegg shuffle everyday till I won a TUF 3060 (I actually won 2). Now the TUF 3060 is a bit of a ripoff at $600 dollars, but I listed it on craigslist and told whomever I would sell them the card at cost as long they gave me their old card. After some haggling I was able to recoup 95% of my money and nab a lightly used XFX 590 Fatboy which was perfect for my friend.

Gotta be creative in these crazy times, I guess.