Question What graphics card to use with Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H?

68malibu383

Honorable
Feb 4, 2016
Hi,
Having problems with my pc past few days: mouse lagging, screen went blank once, hesitation/delay when typing and error message displayed: "display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

I updated the display driver, but problems persist. I presume I need a new graphics card.

It appears the current card is built into the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H), so I can't remove it (I don't even see it).

Questions are: 1) if I get a new graphics card, would that override the built-in one or is there a way to turn the built-in one off? 2) I think I need a PCI Express 3.0. Would something like the AMD Radeon 580 GTS work?

You can use any Discrete or dedicated GPU on that mobo, assuming your other PC components are compatible as well.

Are you using the iGPU right now ? Are you sure this is indeed a hardware issue ? Which operating system/OS is being currently installed on your computer ?

Provide full PC specs, and try to do a clean format and re-install of the OS, if need be (assuming this is a software issue, otherwise not necessary)..

68malibu383

Honorable
Feb 4, 2016
Hi,
I'm not super computer savvy, so I'll do my best. I'm pretty sure I'm using the iGPU because there is not a stand alone card in any of the slots. The 8 pin goes to the MB.

No, I don't know for sure it is a hardware issue but just assumed (and hoped) because of the error message and performance.

I'm running Windows 7 professional.

Specs: two, 1 TB HDs that are set up RAID 1, one 120 GB crucial SSD (programs stored here), Intel i5 (I think), Ballistix sport 16 GB Xs 2, EVGA 500 watt.

I turned PC off yesterday and have not turned it on since. I'm self-employed (work computer) and am hoping I can get it working long enough to transfer things over to another PC or an external SSD.