what gtx 1080 should i buy

alridium

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017
So im looking into buying a gtx 1080 but there are alot of different kinds of those, and i dont exactly know what each means and how worth the price it is. what gtx is best recommended for gaming at high setting and posibly streaming / recording in the future? (if needed i will edit my specs in)

Solution
It's not the GPU you need to worry about. You should worry if your CPU is strong enough or does it have more than 4 cores.
Depending on what games you play, you should have no trouble playing most games at 1440p with a 1080. You should just look at benchmarks for the games you're interested in. Witcher 3 won't get you 90 fps at Ultra 1440p but you'll be close.

Cioby

Distinguished
For streaming you need a good CPU tho Nvidia Shadowplay works a lot better nowadays. So a quad core high tier i7 should be enough.
I'd recommend Aorus, EVGA, Asus Strix. Also depending how much performance you want and what monitor/resolution/refresh rate you could even go as high as 1080ti if you have the money.

What resolution are you aiming for and what framerate?

GTX 1080 is overkill for 1080p by the way, if your going that resolution.

I have the MSI GTX 1080 X 8GB, good card. It can easily handle 1440p maxed 80-100fps in most cases and with Gsync enabled.

Each brand has a different cooler and some even slightly overclock but i never see the point in that.

But from looking online price wise the MSI Armour, EVGA OC and the ASUS Turbo are the cheapest price wise.

alridium

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017

Currently i do have only a 1080p monitor, but im looking into a 1440p@144hz one. and im not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but as i said one that will hopefully have over 90fps at 1440p while streaming / recording. i dont know if thats too much to ask for only 1 gtx 1080 but i cant go as far as 1080ti right now cause i have other expenses so i want to make sure i get the best one i can get for my situation

Cioby

Distinguished
It's not the GPU you need to worry about. You should worry if your CPU is strong enough or does it have more than 4 cores.
Depending on what games you play, you should have no trouble playing most games at 1440p with a 1080. You should just look at benchmarks for the games you're interested in. Witcher 3 won't get you 90 fps at Ultra 1440p but you'll be close.

Solution
Well do you really need 90fps while streaming as they will be seeing it at 60fps, so most of the frames aren't even going to be used.

Wouldn't it be better to stay at 1080p so you have left over power for your GPU to also render and send the data over to the CPU so it can then direct it over to stream. Streaming is very demanding, it also helps if you have the OS and the streaming software on one drive while the game is on another so then their is no collision in data transfer.

TRENDING THREADS