Question What happened to my 980 TI?

supert567

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
Hello all. Recently my Evga Gtx 980 ti SC stopped working and i was wondering if anyone would know exactly what may have happened. It was Overclocked slightly and never reached temperatures over 69C It generally fluctuated from 64-69 in any game. One night my pc just froze for a minute black screens and all but came back saying my rendering device was lost so i took it as a nothing out of the ordinary crash from the gpu or whatever. It happened again 10 minutes later and then no signs of issues for another 3/4 days. Then, the entire computer shut down and would not turn back on, but lights on my mobo were still turned on. So, i unplugged the gpu and the computer would turn on normally and work through integrated graphics and as soon as i'd plug in the second cord into the gpu the pc would shut down. When plugging the gpu into the mobo the lights and fans would still run though. I plugged the gpu into another PC and then i heard a spark and saw a little bit of smoke come from the right side of the card and took it out immediately and could smell the sort of burning metal smell from it and i've been using a 760 in my system ever since and it's been running fine. I'm wondering if 1. The gpu is salvageable in any way. And 2. If my psu is to blame. I have a 980 coming in Monday and i want to be sure my psu doesn't short circuit that or something. The psu is an evga g2 850w 80 gold. Thanks for any and all help as i'm not really well versed in all of this!

supert567

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
Maybe just old age got to it....it gets to us all in the end. We pop body parts ;)
True :p and i'd be perfectly okay with that in the end, the card gave me it's use. I just want some others smarter than I to clarify if i should be worried about my psu before i go and ruin a gpu since i really don't know much about computers aside from putting them together and taking them apart.