What happened to the button to collapse the right sidebar with?

This button was my only means of seeing threads full width, since the "Collapse sidebar by default" option in Preferences doesn't work.

Am I missing something here, is there another way to collapse it manually now?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its not really an arrow? its more 3 little dots that should be next to the Post Thread button but aren't
2YscUKr.jpg

sample from another Future forum which does have choice, its missing here

CParsons

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
I did notice that wasn't there just a while ago

@SHaines any ideas?

This is a little inside baseball for most folks, but the collapsing of the sidebar was identified as one of the issues that is affecting how Google looks at the site and how it ranks us within Google search results through something they call Web Vitals. More specifically, the Cumulative Layout Shift. Due to that, we've had to disable it for now. @Frag Maniac, you should still be able to use the Toggle Width option in the lower right to see threads full width if I'm understanding your usage correctly.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
This is a little inside baseball for most folks, but the collapsing of the sidebar was identified as one of the issues that is affecting how Google looks at the site and how it ranks us within Google search results through something they call Web Vitals. More specifically, the Cumulative Layout Shift. Due to that, we've had to disable it for now. @Frag Maniac, you should still be able to use the Toggle Width option in the lower right to see threads full width if I'm understanding your usage correctly.
Well PC Gamer forums uses the exact same forum software, and their button to collapse the sidebar is still visible and still works, and to Colif's comment, yes, it's 3 dots.

Can you be more specific than "lower right", because I see nothing that says Toggle Width, and I even did a page search for it after looking a while.

I just hope this Google thing doesn't mean it stays this way.

CParsons

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Well PC Gamer forums uses the exact same forum software, and their button to collapse the sidebar is still visible and still works, and to Colif's comment, yes, it's 3 dots.

Tom's forums get more regular traffic so they are being used for the testing to ensure it works. Bit of A/B testing.

Can you be more specific than "lower right", because I see nothing that says Toggle Width, and I even did a page search for it after looking a while.

v0zvagg.png

The two arrows toggle the site width.

That's strange, because this is what the lower right of the page looks like to me, and it's like this no matter whether I use Incognito mode, or regular Chrome, or with or without my VPN enabled. Same with PC Gamer.

3WXRH9U.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you have browser in full screen as menu isn't there if you have it reduced

if i run it half screen it doesn't show menu
L6GGxV3.jpg

but if I run it full screen, it shows
bSRqVc1.jpg

seems it gets pushed off the screen in a thinner aspect. It depends on width of screen, i can make it appear and disappear just by making browser window wider. PCG is the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: CParsons
D

Deleted member 217926

Actually it's not there on my laptops but it is my desktop. Auto displays based on resolution and or screen size maybe? Laptop is 15.6" 1080p and desktop is 32" 1440p. 99% sure ( without looking ) I don't see it on my older Dell either that's 15.6" 1366x768.

D

Deleted member 217926

It's the same on other Future sites as well so it might be a xenforo thing.

do you have browser in full screen as menu isn't there if you have it reduced

if i run it half screen it doesn't show menu
L6GGxV3.jpg

but if I run it full screen, it shows
bSRqVc1.jpg

seems it gets pushed off the screen in a thinner aspect. It depends on width of screen, i can make it appear and disappear just by making browser window wider. PCG is the same.
Yep, I always run it (and any forum) in fullscreen at 1080p, which is native for my display, and that's what that clip I posted was cropped from after pasting the entire print screen into Paint. I mean the page zoom is even set to 100% in Chrome.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not suggesting that, its just possible admin didn't notice it because they all use bigger screens.

I don't know if its anything that can be fixed. I don't have any control over how forums appear beyond the posts on it.

cparsons is better placed to reply to that.

CParsons

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Come on, has it really gotten to the point where we need 4K displays just to get forum software to work properly? Not sure that even makes sense. :confused_old:

No, I don't use a 4K display but I do use a 2K one. My smallest monitor however is 1920x1080 and it shows fine for me so I'm not really sure why it wouldn't be showing on your 1080p monitors. It's just something with the skin that is being used for Xenforo. It offers a responsive UI and that is part of it. I'm looking into if there's a way to change the size at which button disappears.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
This button was my only means of seeing threads full width, since the "Collapse sidebar by default" option in Preferences doesn't work.

Am I missing something here, is there another way to collapse it manually now?
Go to settings then preferences in your account.

EDIT I see you found it I just new it their never tried it.

Last edited:
Well guys, I've been waiting patiently and hoping this will be fixed, but still the sidebar persists, even though I have preferences set to collapse it. Again, I don't have this problem on PCGamer forums, which uses the same base forum software.

Is it too optimistic to hope this will ever be fixed? I mean the 3 dot button always appeared before in the upper right corner of the page, but then it disappeared a little over 3 months ago. :(

Last edited: