What happened to tom's Hardware Best Graphics Card for the Money updates?

MonkeyEvolved

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

Not entirely too much as far as I'm aware, on the low-end the GTX 950 perhaps? But on the cpu end we did have the Intel i5 6600k and i7 6700k's released. Ah well, was just curious.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
the article series helped keep a focus on what the 'best for your money' products were at any given time, which I think helped keep the industry more honest (or the consumers more informed). I miss those articles too!

MonkeyEvolved

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

I 100% agree! I find when purchasing technology I'm constantly looking to see if what I'm purchasing is at least a month relevant, so that I'm confident in such an expensive purchase. Those articles were a great compilation whether or not very much changed.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Couple reasons for this. First, graphics card releases have been slow the last few months, which is part of it. The main factor though is that the editor in charge of that, Chris Angelini, has been unavailable to update it. I don't know the specifics of his situation, but I suspect that it is due to a combination of a busy schedule and personal circumstances. Some writers have also expressed concern over his status, which leads me to believe that there are some serious things going on.

The Editorial team will do their best to update it when they can. I'll be sure to let them know that their loyal readers are really looking forward to an update!

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Hi and thank you for taking the time to reply.

I sincerely hope that Chris Angelini (and extended family/friends) are doing well.
Did I read that right to mean that Chris Angelini is the editor in charge of all those 'monthly' articles? (GPU, CPU, SSD, etc.)?

MonkeyEvolved

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

Yes thank you for the reply and all my best to Chris Angelini as well.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Hey everyone. Everyone is fine. Chris Angelini is fine. Nothing about his status has changed at all. We apologize that we haven't updated the Best GPU and Best CPU articles since June. We did just update the Best GPU article. And we have updates to every single one of our Best Picks pieces coming up in the next couple of weeks (or sooner), including a new one that we just posted today (Best Cases), and we also have a Best PSUs one coming as well. After that we'll try to keep these things updated whenever there are major changes: new awards given, major platform shifts, significant pricing changes. We're also working on the formats for these articles, updating them to be more streamlined and easier to read, easier to get recommendations from, and we have been watching your comments and we're making adjustments where we can each step of the way. Thank you for your patience.

As always,
Fritz Nelson, Editor-in-chief

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Thank you Mr. Nelson, I appreciate your reply to this. The strategy for future updates makes sense, especially since you have "significant pricing changes" as one of the conditions for an update.

In the future, it would be nice if the 'comment' section remains 'open' until the next article is published. The way those were closed down, we suddenly lost the most logical place to ask questions, make comments or point out new developments at.

Looking forward to seeing the new format!