[SOLVED] What happens if a BIOS update disables TPM 2.0 while Windows 11 is installed?

Aug 13, 2022
My motherboard is a B450 Gaming Plus Max. By default, TPM 2.0 is disabled.

After enabling TPM 2.0 in the BIOS, I was able to update to Windows 11 through Windows itself. However, due to some issues I ran into, I would like to clean install it, as well as update the BIOS, since the current version is fairly old (2019).

I plan to clean install Windows 11 first, since TPM 2.0 is already enabled. However, if I update the BIOS, I fear that it might disable TPM 2.0 while W11 is installed. If the update did in fact disable it, would that cause any irreparable issues?

Solution
I phrased that poorly prior to editing. I meant going about it like this:
  1. Clean install W10 on the current BIOS.
  2. Update the BIOS.
  3. Enable TPM 2.0 (in case it was disabled by the update), reenable XMP, set my fan curves.
  4. Upgrade to Windows 11 or clean install it.
Do the BIOS update.
During the first boot up, go into the BIOS and check.
If it DOES disable, re-enable it.

Continue the boot into the current Win 11.

USAFRet

Titan
One of the main things with BIOS updates - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But, if disabling the TPM were a common thing during a BIOS update, we'd have read many many reports of this by now.
Since we haven't....

But if it DOES disable, you can enable it again, just like you did the first time.

USAFRet

Titan
Not that I'm aware of. Mostly asking because I don't know if, generally speaking, BIOS updates reset everything to default settings.
If it does, you reset it back.

But since Win 11 has been out for about a year, and presumably many many people have updated their BIOS, and we've not heard of this being a problem....

Your other option is to not update the BIOS.

Aug 13, 2022
If it does, you reset it back.

But since Win 11 has been out for about a year, and presumably many many people have updated their BIOS, and we've not heard of this being a problem....

Your other option is to not update the BIOS.
I guess I won't be updating the BIOS then. The primary issue is that a BIOS update is needed for newer CPUs. I currently use a Ryzen 5 3600, so when I upgrade my hardware in the future, the BIOS issue will present itself again (so I figured I might as well fix the issue now).
If your motherboard has a TPM chip, the Bios should let you enable/disable it when needed, isn't it?
The only way to go about it would be reenabling TPM immediately after the BIOS update, though I'm not sure how Windows 11 would react to that.

I'm also considering just fresh installing Windows 10 and then upgrade through it, since that version doesn't care about TPM.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I guess I won't be updating the BIOS then. The primary issue is that a BIOS update is needed for newer CPUs. I currently use a Ryzen 5 3600, so when I upgrade my hardware in the future, the BIOS issue will present itself again (so I figured I might as well fix the issue now).
Right...you'll have to do it anyway, so why not now.

Or, wait until you are sure you're going to change the CPU.

I'm also considering just fresh installing Windows 10 and then upgrade through it, since that version doesn't care about TPM.
No, don't do that.

Aug 13, 2022
No, don't do that.
  2. Update the BIOS.
  3. Enable TPM 2.0 (in case it was disabled by the update), reenable XMP, set my fan curves.

USAFRet

Titan
  2. Update the BIOS.
Do the BIOS update.
During the first boot up, go into the BIOS and check.
If it DOES disable, re-enable it.

Continue the boot into the current Win 11.

Solution